Where to send a pipe to get meerschaum bowl?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

10 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
3 Fresh Sam Adebayo Pipes
48 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhasman

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have a great vintage Savory’s Argill 189 bent bulldog pipe. Nice and testy smoker, unfortunately, there are few small tight holes which I do not know to repair. No cracks. Thinking to get quality meerschaum bowl in. Where would I take it? What am I looking at as far as cost?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think you're asking for something you can't get. As far as I know, you cannot replace the bowl of a pipe, unless it's something like a Falcon, that's designed that way. Some companies used to make briar pipes with meer liners, long ago, but that's a totally different critter. Unless someone has other info, I think your only options are

1. Find someone to fix it[/*]
  2. Live with it[/*]
  3. Pitch it[/*]

mhasman

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2013
Chicago, IL
me again. down side of the pipe looks good, the tight holes are on the sides.

is in possible maybe to put something like meerschaum cylinder which will be covering sides only?
IMG_5176_zpsfc082327.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm not 100 % sure what you are asking.
It sounds as though you feel there are "tiny holes" in the bowl itself?
If that is so ... how about building up a thicker cake on the inside?

mhasman

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2013
Chicago, IL
thicker cake? I do not know to build it manually, but via regular smoking it will not be working so fine - air can comes through the holes (see white spots I got after smocked it)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I see the holes. Have you thought about plugging then with 'pipe clay' and see how that works. You could also plug the holes with the cement used for grouting in fire bricks but make sure it is not asbestos based. That would fill the holes and then you can let the 'pipe clay' take up the slack. Good luck.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 condorlover ... if it doesn't smoke well enough to form it's own cake then

by all means, make your own. Mix a small amount of saliva with the tobacco ash and apply

to the weakened areas in a thin paste. Let this dry completely and try another smoke or two.
Good luck! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.