PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Some of Mr. Pease's blends don't impress, but most do. I find that he not only puts a blend together with complexity, but also finesse. There always seems to be an extra touch of savor, and to me there is also restraint. He pushes for a taste, gets it, and stops; a precision, if you will.
There are many fine blenders at work, and just now I'm smoking a dozen of their tobaccos. Mr. Pease has a big name and his work is often praised, so it would make sense to say that his tobaccos caught my notice when I started, and have kept it for the same reason. Smoking at this time and in the US, then, it is natural, by availability that I would buy his work.
But at $70.00/lb it seems to me that he offers great value. I love other tobaccos that are available only in tins, but at double the price I perforce must buy less of them.
One blend that I've come upon in the last year that I plan to cellar deep is Chenet's Cake, available from smokingpipes for $50.00/lb; and it certainly was a fine gesture to make it available in bulk at $20.00/lb less than tins. I love perique but have only smoked two such blends, but of the two CC is clearly superior, a tasty complexity that weathers 35% perique. They say it will peak at 10-15 years; I'll be lucky to keep my hands off it that long and to enjoy it aged.
Make no mistake, however, this is for the nicotine addicts, and I happily count myself as suffering from that affliction. Gimme power! I want smoke to come out of my ears! As strong as Dark Flake, perhaps brown rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.