PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I have been having a lot of fun and enjoyment from my MM cob pipe and Lane BCA. As I work on my technique I am starting to wonder if I should get another cob and another type of tobacco to compare against. Any suggestions? Maybe an English of some sort?

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Couldn't hurt. Coming from BCA, Sutliff's aromatic English 504 might be within your wheelhouse as far as venturing into latakia type blends are concerned. Enjoy the ride is the main thing :)
Having said that, I've not tried either of those, but I did some finger dancing and hopefully managed to be helpful.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Pick up a bag of MM "seconds" and begin exploring all of the categories not yet tried.
Englishes, VaPers, Burleys, Virginias, etc.
As to where to go, Go West!
And, welcome!
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here are a few standard suggestions I make to new pipe smokers about sampling tobaccos. Buy in small quantities for the next two years -- an ounce of bulk, one tin, or a pouch. Save (jar) even what you don't like, to see if your taste changes or age improves the blend. Try different genres as suggested in the earlier post -- Virginia, Virginia/Perique, English, Balkan, burley, select aromatics. I'd stay with mostly loose cut, but eventually try flake, coin, plug and rope (these are different cuts). Take your time. Three or four blends purchased at a time are plenty as you learn about blends. While you enjoy a rotation of four or five blends, read up on others, their constituent tobaccos, and how they compare with what you are smoking. There are sampler packs, but I'd encourage buying single samples a few at a time, so you learn about and choose each one. It's a learning curve, and that should be part of the enjoyment.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
As usual, Tom (mso) & I are in the same ballpark. Personally I'm a huge fan of 3 Nuns, but it might not be for you yet, being a very different cut. One thing you can hardly ever go wrong with (you may laugh, but I'm serious) is just plain Sir Walter Raleigh. It's a good tobacco & not too far from an aromatic.
Bill

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Yes. And Yes. Get more pipes and more mixtures. It's a good time to broaden your tobacco horizon. You never know what you're going to run across that you will like a lot more than your current favorite.
Smoke on! :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Trying lots of new blends while learning to best smoke a pipe is not really fair to those blends.

Great if you can afford it, and thus make your schooling a 'double major', but really, palates change as technique improves.

All tobacco has one shared flavor component. If you don't enjoy that, you're not likely to enjoy the pipe.

I do think that, like sauerkraut, or pickled herring, you can learn to love it. (not that pipe smoking tastes in any way like these distinctive flavors)

Status
Not open for further replies.