PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twss

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2011
Austin, Tx
I just got a new Peterson churchwarden (pictures to follow) and was smoking the first quarter bowl when, horror of horrors, I start to smell burning briar. I think I may have noticed this on a couple of other pipes for the first smoke but it still scares me. Is that normal? I smoke the first couple of bowls in a new pipe pretty slow. Also, where does a burnout normally happen on a pipe? And what are the symptoms of an impending one. Any advise from the older wiser members would be greatly appreciated.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Imperfections in the Briar are said by some to be the cause of burnouts . Smoking the pipe too hot is another . I dont think it matters if you smoke 1/2 bowls or full ones to break in a pipe the key is to smoke slowly until you get the ever important cake to build up and protect the bowl . I also like to coat a new bowl with honey the darker the honey the better as the oils and wax have not been strained off . Like Bearl Cream a little honey goes a long way . Others have there own concoctions and mix up sour cream and lord knows what else . I kinda like the taste of new briar myself , just smoke slow and it will turn out ok .

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Unless the pipe has some real nasty pits close to the bowl, burning out a pipe isn't as easy as you might think if you take care of it properly. Like igloo said, some it slow and build some carbon base. And let your pipe dry out completely before you smoke it again while the it's this young.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
They can happen any where in the bowl if there are imperfections. However as it was stated before it's pretty hard to burn out a pipe if it's taken care of. I would give the bowl a light coat of honey of syrup every other bowl for the first 2-4 bowls. It helps to build up the carbon cake faster. Be sure to smoke it to the bottom of the bowl as well! smoke it slow and your churchwarden should last you the rest of your life. :puffy: Happy puffing!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think Igloo hit all the major points. I've heard that internal flaws, such as wood knots and soft spots, can be a source if they haven't been removed and filled by the pipemaker.
The only burn-out I ever experienced was on my very first pipe, a well used, beloved Medico filter. I was walking on a windy day and I didn't realize how hot the bowl was getting because it was so cold out.
As I puffed away on my Middleton's Cherry blend I suddenly noticed how woody the smoke tasted. Just as I was about to inspect the pipe my finger pushed right through the bottom and left a charred, ragged little hole in the bottom.
Since that time I've always been very careful with a pipe outdoors.

mole

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2010
and here I was thinking
IMG_7567.jpg

guess what neighborhood I grew up in...

Status
Not open for further replies.