PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I started smoking a pipe in my late 20’s and am soon to venture into my 40’s. For years, my friends have joked about me being an old man and having an old man habit; more recently, they comment on missing me and my pipe smoke on camping/fishing trips, with a few even considering taking up a pipe of their own.

I guess that makes me a pioneer... or a pioneering old man. Get off my lawn!
Mine always joke about it as well, but I got them into pipe smoking already.

Mar 1, 2014
My interests started in my early 20's as well (that's about a decade ago).
In some ways I feel like it's preparation for the future, someday I will look like Gandalf, so I may as well get used to acting the part.

Tobacco pipes are an exploration of our history, you get to live a slice of daily life just as people had going hundreds of years back, up to half a millennia if you venture into Clays, I had one of the 15" tavern pipes but as one might expect that pipe met an unfortunate end on a cement floor. It's always tempting to get more: 15" Colonial Tavern Pipe - Penn Valley Pipes - https://shop.pipeshoppe.com/product/15-colonial-tavern-pipe-new/

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
34 here and started smoking a pipe around 2/3 years ago.

I was a longtime cigarette (and other combustible weed) smoker before that and the pipe satiates my need for smoking without the all consuming need for cigarettes. I can easily not smoke for a day or 7 these days.

My grandad was a pipe smoker but mostly before I can remember. Certainly not an affectation or attention seeking endeavour as I mostly smoke in private.

what was the question? ?

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
My interests started in my early 20's as well (that's about a decade ago).
In some ways I feel like it's preparation for the future, someday I will look like Gandalf, so I may as well get used to acting the part.

Tobacco pipes are an exploration of our history, you get to live a slice of daily life just as people had going hundreds of years back, up to half a millennia if you venture into Clays, I had one of the 15" tavern pipes but as one might expect that pipe met an unfortunate end on a cement floor. It's always tempting to get more: 15" Colonial Tavern Pipe - Penn Valley Pipes - https://shop.pipeshoppe.com/product/15-colonial-tavern-pipe-new/
I've been thinking about getting a clay pipe lately.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Mid 30's. Started when I was 24. I've gone periods were I stopped smoking pipe and smoked cigars or nothing at all. I thoroughly enjoy smoking a pipe. Old spirited as well.

Reactions: edger

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
?Well, I can't speak for the rest of them, because group think is silly, but when I smoke a pipe, just like when I strap my single action to my hip, or when I jump in my manual car, I do it to keep some history alive. As well as personal enjoyment, I don't give too much of a damn what other people think about how "cool" i look.
I don't carry a single action but I do have a single action double barrel 410 hand gun. My daily carry is a Ruger .357 1707. I also own three manual shift cars one of them on the column. I don't think I'm old fashioned, I just like things that are reliable in their simplicity.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I too, am 22, and had no non-fictional piping influences in my life to give me the idea of piping in the first place. Yet, at 18, for seemingly no point other than a whim, I bought a used old Dr. Grabow Riviera with a cracked shank that I kept tight with a rubber band. It also came complete with a stinger that couldn’t be removed, so, fully cleaning it was nearly impossible. Even then, though, I enjoyed it, and I continued to puff a bowl of Prince Albert out of it every 3 months or so, and in the following years, I moved on to better things. Now, I’ve a pipe for every day of the week, I pipe almost every day, and I have a small cellar of somewhere around 10 pounds. It’s most probably my favorite hobby. I’ve no real plans for it or anything, I don’t really have PAD, I might pick up a few meers down the road, or maybe a briar again if I need to replace one. As far as TAD/cellaring goes, I only ever plan to have as much for myself as I need to smoke a bowl or two for the rest of my days. I can’t really get down with the “He who dies with the most toys wins” mentality.
You, my young friend, are way too rational to be a member of this forum.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Turning 36 later this month. I never liked any form of tobacco other than pipe smoking, which I only got into in 2019. Just enough time to cellar like a madman while it's still somewhat affordable and easy to obtain. Neither of my grandfathers smoked a pipe, nor did my dad; I guess Lee Van Cleef had the greatest impression upon my 10 year old mind in that regard.

I don't feel the slightest weirdness about smoking a pipe at my age. I'm more intrigued with the idea of finally departing the 18-35 demographic I have grown accustomed to for so long. But then again, not nearly as intrigued as I am with the idea of drying a couple few coins of MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake and spending a little time with "Il Savinelli." It's all relative. :col:

• Haha
Reactions: edger and BSticks

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I don't carry a single action but I do have a single action double barrel 410 hand gun. My daily carry is a Ruger .357 1707. I also own three manual shift cars one of them on the column. I don't think I'm old fashioned, I just like things that are reliable in their simplicity.
Yes, I would kill for a carbureted or mechanically injected diesel.

Reactions: edger

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
Turning 36 later this month. I never liked any form of tobacco other than pipe smoking, which I only got into in 2019. Just enough time to cellar like a madman while it's still somewhat affordable and easy to obtain. Neither of my grandfathers smoked a pipe, nor did my dad; I guess Lee Van Cleef had the greatest impression upon my 10 year old mind in that regard.

I don't feel the slightest weirdness about smoking a pipe at my age. I'm more intrigued with the idea of finally departing the 18-35 demographic I have grown accustomed to for so long. But then again, not nearly as intrigued as I am with the idea of drying a couple coins of MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake and spending a little time with "Il Savinelli." It's all relative. :col:
Well said. Getting older is exciting anyways. As long as your happy with life that is ?

Reactions: Servant King

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Ruger GP100, 3" barrel, fixed sights, compact grips. Great carry gun.

Reactions: BSticks

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
Ruger GP100, 3" barrel, fixed sights, compact grips. Great carry gun.
Looks like a beautiful piece, but I'm not much into the revolvers as carry. God forbid you need more shots, but it's nice to have them. I generally carry a full frame beretta with an extra 15 rd mag on my weak side. I'm not one for small and compact either? I genuinely believe open carry is the best carry (if enough people do it).

Reactions: FurCoat and edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Looks like a beautiful piece, but I'm not much into the revolvers as carry. God forbid you need more shots, but it's nice to have them. I generally carry a full frame beretta with an extra 15 rd mag on my weak side. I'm not one for small and compact either? I genuinely believe open carry is the best carry (if enough people do it).
I've always loved revolvers, but now the simpler the better. The fact that I don't have to deal with safeties, etc is better for us old guys. Aim and pull the trigger is all I have to remember.

• Haha
Reactions: FurCoat and BSticks

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I open carry.
Atta boy. My hypotheses is the more people that open carry, the more criminals that will see people carrying, thus a deterrent. While I do understand that it can make you a target, as a criminal if you see 3 people with guns within 10 feet of you, you'll probably think twice.

Reactions: edger and FurCoat
Status
Not open for further replies.