PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Anyone have a favorite tongue-bite remedy? Have heard of a few such as drinking milk while and after smoking, but the ideas seem to be shorthanded. Thoughts on cures? Never hear much about it......

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That's because a lot of bite is caused by poor technique. Slow down, slow down,and slow down. Stay away from cheap chemical-laden tobaccos. Most of your problem is then solved. :puffpipe:

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ Jud
Wise words. I agree, most is caused by poor technique, but I have found even some quality aromatics to be particularly harsh, as you said. Sir Walter Raleigh can be that way if you smoke too hard. As a former cigar smoker I can also relate to the Cigar-oriented tongue bite.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
That's because a lot of bite is caused by poor technique. Slow down, slow down,and slow down. Stay away from cheap chemical-laden tobaccos. Most of your problem is then solved.
Jud's suggestion is spot on. Also you may want to try Biotene mouthwash or toothpaste for a quick cure if Jud's suggestion doesn't work. I hear that drinking wine while you smoke will lesson the tongue bite if your tastes are in that direction.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Take three days off. Once you're burned, the only "cure" is time and healing. Slow down. Change blends. When I started smoking pipes again last year, I got tongue bite half a dozen times in the first 60 days. Haven't done it once since.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I don't really get tongue bite anymore. When I first started out pipes smoking I would. This was usually due to smoking cheaper blends or aromatic blends too fast. I find that smoking blends that have a lot of casing (flavor stuff) tend to burn pretty hot and really don't have much of a taste. Find a good "go-to" blend that smokes cooler and slow down your smoking. As for a remedy I guess Biotene would probably be the best. Good luck.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Have heard of a few such as drinking milk while and after smoking,
The only way drinking milk might possibly subdue any bite from a tobacco is that it will take your mind off of it from the horrid taste you'll get!!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
A tangled thorny trail most of us pass through. After all that has been touched on above, I personally believe, if after all these tips you are still getting scorched, you may well be back to Cigrmasters theory on PH. Observe the contents or types of leaf in the blend, your tongue (body chemistry) may not play well with one of them. Just something to consider. Good luck, Smokinfireman.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Hmmh. I never would have thought Paladin in a Brylon could ever lead to tongue bite...

But seriously, I don't think I could stomach the milk thing. Blech. My trick to avoid tongue bite is the fact that I usually am drinking beer or non-alcoholic beer while smoking. The carbonation will give you a very distant early warning of impending tongue bite. If you take a sip and it tingles, there's your warning to slow down. You can save the situation before real tongue bite sets in.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
After getting my smoking technique down I began drying my tobaccos before smoking. Drying helped but I would still get horrendous tongue bite from certain tobaccos. Escudo and MacBaren #1 were the worst. Like smoking napalm.

It took me a while to figure out, but by process of elimination I discovered I have a problem with yellow or bright Virgina tobacco. Paying special attention to blend components and not buying tobacco that even might have yellow Va. has eliminated my tongue bite. Some people have a similar problem with perique. Pay attention to which blends bite, research the component tobaccos and look at what elements they share. Eliminate the common element and hopefully that will solve your problem as it solved mine.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Similar story, but still trying to nail down the offender: If burley is more than x%, I'm in trouble, either with bad taste or dizzy spells. I don't know what that percentage is, and blenders are not so forthcoming telling me approximately how much burley is in the blend. So, trial and error, but the errors are fewer and trials less, uh, trying.....
Good luck!

Jul 21, 2015
try ST37 to rinse your mouth out after you have suffered the Bite... it will help numb off the pain and make eating or drinking normal again.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Good ideas, all. I usually dry out my heavier aromatics on a plate for about an hour. Longer if the pouch feel is particularly moist. @ jpmcwjr- I too can be sett off by too much burley. Carter hall in particular. Thanks to all for the input, will definatley try some biotine. Mabeye even a glass of wine too :)

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I'm a believer that there are 2 kinds of tongue bite, one is a chemical attack on your tongue and the other is temperature related.
Basically, new smokers or smoking wet ( or aros) blends too fast burn your tongue by steam. Someone said rest for a few days, and that's about it. Keep it cool too, drink some cool water . Burn your finger with steam, not much you can do but keep it cool.
With the chemical kind, normally it's from tobaccos that burn more alkaline like Burleys or Virginias (Burleys are bad for me and punish me for smoking too much or fast). Your mouth is more attuned for acidic environments so is attacked to a greater degree by alkalines. Biotene I've seen recommended very often, but personally, I like a tart lemonade while smoking.
However, different strokes for different folks, so there is no one single right answer.
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.