When You Tell Your Doctor You Smoke a Pipe...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My doctor must be different than others, because when he asked me several years ago if I smoked (along with many other questions) during a physical; he told me that pipes and cigars don't count. He said he's only required to note smoking if I smoke cigarettes or use smokeless tobacco. He also noted that the limited amount I smoke wasn't enough to worry about as well. Again, he wasn't in favor of it but he also wasn't going to scold me over it either.
There has been a few times over the years where I've gone into the emergency room/urgent care and they've asked if I smoke and again I mention I have a cigar occasionally and smoke pipes a few times a week. They've all stated that they're only interested in cigarettes and/or smokeless tobacco.
Maybe I'm just lucky then. :D

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
mso489: "The science isn't there, if science counts for anything, because the pipe smoking cohort appropriate for a study is too spread out. The population is too small to attain funding for a study. None of this matters, but it's worth noting. A bowl a day might address anxiety and depression with fewer side effects than pharmaceuticals, as a hypothesis."
There was a government study done within the last few years, (I don't recall from which major agency), that found zero health impact associated with 'moderate' cigar smoking. For purposes of the study, 'moderate' was defined as one cigar per day. They did not investigate cigar usage greater than one per day. It was amusing to read the summary of the study; it was obvious that the author was perturbed by their results.
Of course, cigars aren't pipes. But, they aren't cigarettes either. We here know that. As you mentioned, we may never see the same kind of study for pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
but getting life insurance is another matter...they will definitely test your urine or blood and give you a higher rate if it is positive
Have had the same policy for twenty years and have never been asked to take a test.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
There was a government study done within the last few years, (I don't recall from which major agency), that found zero health impact associated with 'moderate' cigar smoking.
You might be referring to this: Sytematic Review of Cigar Smoking...
Looks like small sample size resulted in wide confidence intervals. This review found mortality risk was highly elevated though not statistically significant (perhaps due to small sample size).

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
One of our businesses is insurance. Whatever you tell your physician will end up in your medical record and absolutely can and will be used against you by underwriting if you apply for life or health insurance. I get three questions at every physical-
1) Still a non-smoker? "I absolutely hate cigarettes and cigars"

2) Do you drink alcohol?- "We have a Mediterranean diet and have a bit of red wine with dinner"

3) Do you wear a bike helmet? "Every time I ride"
I never lie...:) (and I do faithfully use my $260 bike helmet- I ride 6 days a week, and that by far is my highest risk factor)
I made the mistake one time about telling my physician about being rescued when I was paddling a racing surfski offshore and losing it in high wind and waves leaving me treading water a mile offshore. A few years later, I requested a copy of my full medical record- that particular bit of information was in there...and will be forever.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I don't have any life insurance since I'm relying on free healthcare, here lol, nonetheless even if the surgery is free the ambulatory entry fees has to be be paid,yet stay at hospital involves inevitable charges (roughly50-100 $ per day meals incl)those payments are on patient's responsibility, moreover, Dental operations are again pretty costly business,simply fill /mend sets me back for about $ 60 each

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
@zack24 Great set of answers.
Similar to zack24 my UK health records have a permanent record of the time I had a biking accident in the Caribbean and needed follow up medical assistance in the UK (actual surgery was in the Caribbean) and a couple of skiing mishaps so no denying dangerous hobbies; but I have since migrated to Australia and although I was actually happy for my medical records to be transferred there is no mechanism or legal framework to do so. So my Aussie medical records started with a completely blank sheet... ...OK, moving half way across the world may be a drastic way of resetting the records but it is one approach...

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 Chasing, Have had the same policy for twenty years and have never been asked to take a test.

Like my records following me, never lie, but at times am conservative rather than extreme.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
+1 Zack
Another question to be aware of when you start taking the kids to the Doctor; Do you own any fire arms?
I told My kids’ Physician he didn’t have a right to ask that and told him to cut out the Obamacare Third Degree. He held up his hands and said, “Yep, the Affordable Care Act compels us to ask these absurd questions.”
The smoking bias has been around long before Obamacare, though. The main take away is don’t tell the doctor anything that isn’t medically related to the visit.

cass

Lurker
Jul 31, 2018
Reminds me Of a thing that happened in Holland ; for a while he people living there had to register with the government as a user if they smoked cannibis, it’s legal in Holland but they tried to do this whole registering thing for one reason or another and people needed their registration card to buy the weed etc. Of course it ended up with not only insurance companies, but prospective employers getting hold of the list of users and discriminating against them etc etc. I don’t smoke that crap and I live in Ireland but the wife , she’s From Holland originally.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Best advice to the question asked, "When I tell my doctor, will it be reported to the government/my insurance provider? Will my insurance costs go up?" is this:
Unless you are a mid to heavy regular smoker, multiple times a day, just don't even admit it to a doctor. I smoke a pipe/cigar on occasion, maybe 2-3 times a week if I'm lucky. I mentioned it to my doc when I started about 6 yrs ago and now it is permanently on my record, and every time I go in for a checkup I am asked, "are you still a smoker?". My answer every time is, NO! I am only an occasional cigar/pipe enthusiast.
But alas, I do fear that if/when I have to apply for health insurance at a new employer, or am requested for medical underwriting for a life insurance policy (I'm almost 50 and it will happen now), I am screwed -- yes rates will go up if insurance finds out. Just keep it to yourself if you feel it is a non-issue.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Every year my Doc asks the same questions and I give him the same response...I don’t smoke, I don’t drink, and I don’t chase dames.

Status
Not open for further replies.