When did Comoy’s use/stop using screw-in tenons?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I read somewhere that mostly American pipes did the screwing (ok, pardon me). I’m just curious about a Comoy’s I’m seeing online. When did Comoy’s start and stop using screw-in stems? Does anyone know?
E6AE1326-5D39-4855-A364-F876552E131C.jpegEF96D4C9-8FE4-437C-B7A2-BF1C66A9D5C0.jpeg6DA8B5F3-CDB3-4155-8B7A-25E0EBCB30F0.jpeg

Reactions: kcghost

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I've never seen one like that before! Seems even worse than a screw in stinger system. If the threads wear out, and the stem gets crooked, you can't clock it?
Interesting.
Hmm, thats a new one on me... I've never seen a Comoys with a round COM and a screw in tenon, let alone a tenon that looks like that. Maybe @sablebrush52 @georged or @jguss can offer some input on this. The round COM was not used prior to the mid 20's as far as I know. I suspect that is a tenon repair.
Really? If so, It must have been done a long time ago? This pipe is on auction and this caught my attention. It’s in an Everyman box but it can’t be an Everyman. 2BD1579F-F70D-46F9-89A2-D58FEB62C4C3.jpeg

Reactions: didimauw

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Clarification ---

Those are standard repair components, but used in an unusual way.

Whoever did it decided to jam-fit the smooth end into the shank, and leave the threaded end unglued.

(Normally the threads are crosshatched, and the doodad permanently glued into place with epoxy. The result looks and performs like a standard push-fit stem.)

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 6.10.37 PM.png

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Clarification ---

Whoever did it decided to jam-fit the smooth end into the shank, and leave the threaded end unglued.

(Normally the threads are crosshatched, and the doodad permanently glued into place with epoxy. The result looks and performs like a standard push-fit stem.)

View attachment 199027
Omg duh. Very good.

Reactions: milk

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I would obviously go with @georged on this.

I have some century plus Comoy's and haven't run across anything threaded yet, but mine are a small sample size.

Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Clarification ---

View attachment 199027
Amazing. So, do I tell the seller this information or just whistle and go on my way? I’m inclined to go on my merry way. I fear I’ll bring trouble on myself on that auction site. Hmm…maybe I can message them privately somehow. All questions are public there.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Amazing. So, do I tell the seller this information or just whistle and go on my way? I’m inclined to go on my merry way. I fear I’ll bring trouble on myself on that auction site. Hmm…maybe I can message them privately somehow. All questions are public there.

It is possible that the fixer actually WANTED the new stem to work that way.

There was no cross-haching or glue used on either component, so it was just screwed in and "left" that way intentionally.

As long as the stem was always turned clockwise to both install and remove, the new tenon would stay put, in fact.

It's not a good idea for several reasons that the standard glue-in-permanently solution doesn't suffer from, but it IS workable.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Sellers rarely appreciate advice or opinion on their listings, don't waste your time.
I guess you’re right. I wish someone had done this for me in the past though. But I see what you’re saying. It probably won’t do me any good and it IS clearly pictured.