PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Of the list you have posted Mac Baren Navy Flake will give you that molasses note you’re chasing because of the burley content. You might find more joy in searching for Virginia/Burley blends topped with alcohol as these will probably fit the genre you’re chasing better than a Virginia/Perique blend.
Thanks for the insight, I'll take a look. Any come to mind for you?

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I have a question for everyone. Peterson De Luxe Navy Rolls is a Navy blend? Or the name "Navy" in the tin used for marketing reasons?

Also, what exactly is "Navy" blend? Because everyone is confused about it.
Someone was saying there was a podcast where someone went into it- it's in this thread somewhere. I'm going to check it out.

Reactions: john19

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
Hello,

I'm looking for a Navy or Navy "style" blend. I am hunting for one with a note pronounced Molasses and rum note, but not so much as it reaches aro territory.

What are your favorites? Which ones might fit that profile?

I'm considering Speakeasy, Windjammer and SG Navy Flake, but am open to any input.

Thanks and pipe on!
SG Navy FTW 🙌
It’s the latakia in it that wins hands down for me

Reactions: Annaresti Red

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
My current batch of Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake has a sweet smoky caramel flavor ... previous batches tasted exactly like a cup of tea with honey and lemon ... (???). Sutliffe 507-C is a the tobacco I get in lieu of Capstan Blue but it is less tea and citrus and more sweet french bread flavor (its cheaper too).
Haven't noticed any rum flavor. You might try tobaccoreviews.com and search for rum flavored and see what pops up on the list for comparison. Lane makes some bulk blends that might fulfill that taste preference.
Sutliff 507C is a nice blend with a twist Vs the Capstan blue. Both are winners in my book. I lean towards the 507C due to the difference in the Virginas being less bitey for me

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Also, what exactly is "Navy" blend? Because everyone is confused about it.
1710377783256.png

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
A toss up between Windjamer and Salty Dogs. Both delicious blends. I'm gonna give it to Salty Dogs, but only because it is a plug and the smoke lasts longer. But then Windjamer is a more complex blend. Scottish Flake is also damn good. As is MacB Navy Flake, unlike the others, burley forward (and perhaps a navy flake in name only, but still fantastic).

Reactions: Annaresti Red

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
So. A report back on Rum Flake.

Holy Christmas Cake, Batman!
That is a great description. Not cloying, but a very rich maple sugar sweetness with Molasses for miles. Actually a bit much for me. But still a 8/10. So delicious and rich and creamy. But more of a once a week smoke for me. Good suggestion whoever said to try that.

Reactions: john19