PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I really wish the man would make more videos. With his English accent
I believe it's an Irish accent. I purchased from them online. They're based in Dublin, helpful and good prices too.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
i find the right way to pack a pie is with tobacco....
i have tried to smoke han, turkey and salmon, but have a hard time with the draw and keeping them lit...

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have to say, I did go through the different 'methods' when I started. It helped alot! I usually did the 3 step, rubbing all flakes out.
I dont know what happened, but now I just stuff tobacco in and go, flakes are either folded or rubbed out. Usually works, but I miss actually trying to keep the packing ritual to a specific method.
John

blackdog7

Lurker
Aug 20, 2012
After searching for and trying almost every method I could find on the internet about packing a pipe the "Harry Method" seems to work the best for me. Its the only one out of many that my pipe stays lit the longest without having to constantly relight.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have always wanted to try the chipper method. Fire up the wood chipper. Get your wife to stand in front of the chipper with the pipe aimed correctly. Then toss the whole tin into the chipper. If your wife is brave and talented, she should be able to collect enough flying tobacco to fill the pipe. The only downside to this method is that you need to rake the yard for the rest of the tobacco. And you might have to sleep in the garage with the chipper.
Winton
PS, if anyone actually uses this method, PLEASE post a video.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
I also do the "Old timer" method, like my grandpa, just take your finger and ram it in there til it feels just right. No muss no fuss.
I wonder if they ever have this discussion on the "Pot smokers forum" haha

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
I do the, "Grab some tobacco and put it in my pipe, tamp with my finger until it feels right" method, never... Always a great smoke
me too, i think she would name this method the wing nut method...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
All the advice given above is spot on. Research youtube videos using "pipe packing methods" and give them all a try to see what works best for you.
Personally, I just grab a big wad of baccy and stuff the bowl, pressing down to what I've learned to feel right for me. Then I check the draw and if it's good I light it up and go. The major thing in this step of pipe smoking is checking the draw after you pack the pipe. Nothing worse than packing it, lighting up, and finding out that you packed it too tightly. Then you have to put it out, empty the bowl and repack it all over again.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Flakes, Plugs and Ropes - it depends on the tobacco itself... if it stays well in tact after cutting I use the cube method, If it somewhat falls apart then I will sometimes just fold it and fill the pipe, if the tobacco falls apart then I rub it out and use the "henry palm swirl method" or good old fashion gravity method
All other tobacco - I use the "henry palm swirl method" or good old fashion "gravity method"

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
@maduroman I have found that if you really fry the hell out of bacon, it can be sucessfully smoked with a pipe, add some latakia and perique, your all set, just pack it like a flake tobacco...

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
The methods stated above are mostly good mate. In time (3-5 yrs), you will not even think about it, you'll just do it. However, as I said, the methods above are great but, I do find that alot depends on the baccy and the pipe and the time I have to spend with it. Some baccy's perform better one way more so than another. The same will hold true for the chosen pipe. If I want my smoke to last a bit longer, or if I am heading outdoors around the yard, I sometimes have a tendancy to pack just a wee bit tighter.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Maduroman that sounds delicious. I would like a pipe stuffed with ham that is also made out of ham.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
To be honest I have yet to try any other methods than the three step method simply because it works so well for me. If I ever come across other methods, I may end up making a hybrid.

mb1mb

Might Stick Around
Oct 5, 2012
What seems to work the best for me:

1. Gravity feed 2/3 full LIGHTLY pack down filling bottom 1/3

2. Gravity feed 2/3 full again pack SLIGHTLY firmer filling bottom 2/3.

3. Gravity feed slightly over full pack down leaving 1/8" to rim of bowl, using thumb first then index finger to even out around the edges.

(* for smaller pipes or shorter smokes I use above method but only do two steps. I mostly go by feel on the packing of the bowl. With time you will develop a feel for it. And a feel for tobacco moisture content. As a rule of thumb I generally pack moister tobaccos looser.)

I found that I was getting inconsistent pinches for the other method. By gravity feed I use the pipe as a scoop. And I tap the pipe to let the tobacco settle in before packing. It helps to take out any stems or woody bits and to cut or rip up any oversized ribbons or chunks before putting my tobacco in jar.

For flake I fold and stuff most, but sometimes I cut cubes, cutting cubes I put the larger pieces in first as to not obstruct the draught hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.