PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I’m guessing it’s reduced weight to hit a price point for the shops that sold their tobacco. At one time Uhles sold their tobacco in drug stores and book shops in the Midwest. I don’t know if they are still in the wholesale tobacco business.
I first came across Uhle's in big countertop jars at a drug store in the Upper Penninsula, 15 years ago.
I don't think that's happening anymore. It's a pity.

Reactions: AroEnglish

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I’m guessing it’s reduced weight to hit a price point for the shops that sold their tobacco. At one time Uhles sold their tobacco in drug stores and book shops in the Midwest. I don’t know if they are still in the wholesale tobacco business.
I had no idea they were that big. I wonder if this means that they source their leaf independently from Sutliff or Lane etc.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I had no idea they were that big. I wonder if this means that they source their leaf independently from Sutliff or Lane etc.
Good Question! It’s been years since I was in their basement tobacco blending room but I all I ever saw were medium size boxes of cut blending tobacco. I think most of the large wholesale accounts are long gone. They might have a few mom and pop accounts but I’m really not sure of anything. I think Jeff the owner was on PipesMagazine Radio years ago. Might have to listen to that episode again.

Reactions: mingc

mlaw1969

Lurker
Oct 31, 2023
Rockford IL
Periodically, I have seen the name mentioned in the 'what are you smoking' section of the forum. But I never ordered from them. On a scale of 1-10, what do you guys think of their blends?

Care to offer a recommendation for a smoker who is (temporarily) burned out on lat heavy blends. I currently like BPC and 333, W, etc. I'm well stocked up on those, but am curious about Uhle's. 00 and PPB have been mentioned. I have been restocking the cellar lately, but don't need any more blends that are just: meh.
Their Marquette blend is an exceptional aromatic

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I love Uhles. I need to try more of their blends but I have a love affair with Blend 300 and Perfection Plug Burley. Hunt Club is good, as is Pride of Wisconsin, a nice aro. I really need to try Bishops Move and 00 which I will probably pick up after the new year sometime.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Has anyone ever tried their house brand cigars? If so, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.
They're smokeable and worth their price, but in no way a top tier premium cigar. They're pretty mild. I thought I still had some, but I don't, so they couldn't have been too bad. Give 'em a shot and just buy five or so. I definitely think buying cigars on someone else's recommendation is even riskier than buying pipe tobacco the same way.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
They're smokeable and worth their price, but in no way a top tier premium cigar. They're pretty mild. I thought I still had some, but I don't, so they couldn't have been too bad. Give 'em a shot and just buy five or so. I definitely think buying cigars on someone else's recommendation is even riskier than buying pipe tobacco the same way.

Thanks for the reply! I've been smoking and collecting cigars since 2005, and have learned a lot from others' recommendations. I was just curious if this was a sleeper considering it's made by the Eiroas and they have access to some unique and high quality tobacco.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've only had one experience with Uhles blends.
One day last Fall at Kremers, a small group of guys were visiting and came out to the back deck to have a smoke. They were a Father/Son and friend from up yonder. They had several different bags of Uhles blends and I tried what I think was a VaPer with MAYBE a touch of burley. Can't remember the name, but they definitely had some 00, which our local Mike enjoyed quite a bit.