PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Quick question.
What makes a tobacco blend to be considered an English blend versus another type of blend? If this even exist.
Thanks!

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I would say English blends are mixtures of Virginia and Latakia along with other tobaccos like Perique or Orientals. Usually they do not contain added flavoring .

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
I'm not sure what the actually makes and English blend English, but I've always considered them to be a step or two down from Latakia. almost like a watered down version of a really strong drink.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
From Wikipedia..."English" blends are based on natural Virginia tobaccos enhanced with Oriental and other natural tobaccos."

Others will expound and expand on this but it all goes back to English tobacco laws that allow only "natural" ingredients in the blends. It is common to think of English blends in terms of latakia and Orientals but other would argue that strict adherence to the laws is the true definition. Take Samuel Gawith's Grousemoor for instance. It contains no Latakia or Orientals but still is considered an English blend because of its natural contents. It has been arounf for over 200 years so, IMHO, that's as English as it gets.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Very interesting logandow. Thanks!
And thank you papipeguy!!!!!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
For me, an English blend follows the Wikipedia definition -- a Virginia base with added orientals -- as long as you keep in mind that Latakia is an oriental tobacco. A traditional English for me mixes orientals, Latakia and Virginia. I think if you say "English blend," nine out of ten pipe smokers would expect a Virginia, oriental, Latakia blend.
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Usually - at least on this side of the pond - a blend is considered "English" if it has latakia in it. But that's not a term used in the UK - they will simply refer to a blend as a latakia blend.
I think if you say "English blend," nine out of ten pipe smokers would expect a Virginia, oriental, Latakia blend.
Yup.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
While there are plenty of English blends - pipe tobaccos made in England - I usually reserve the term for a flake/mixture classically consisting of Virginia, Oriental, and Latakia tobaccos.
I also consider (rightly or wrongly) Balkan blends to have a stronger emphasis on the Oriental/Latakia side of the equation.
People debate this ad nauseam but there is no doubt that they are the popular definitions here in North America. A few blends add in perique or cavendish, but that does not change their latakia character enough to warrant another classification.
People in the UK will undoubtedly consider all of their brands to be English, and rightfully so. But, for most of us here who shop on this side of the pond, the term refers to a latakia blend - newcomers would do well to expect that smoky, savoury, leathery, campfire note in any "English" blend and to steer clear if that's not their thing.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've been forcing myself to use the term "latakia blend" rather than "English blend" to avoid confusion.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Admittedly, some confusion is bound to arise when we sometimes break down all tobaccos into two major categories: Aromatic and English. It's just an easier way than saying "aromatic" and "non-aromatic." But in that context, "English" is being used simply to distinguish a blend from an "aromatic." It isn't accurate, but it occasionally comes up just because it's easy shorthand.
On a site like this, where we're probably more aware of all of the distinctions and nuances than a lot of folks behind the tobacco counter these days, we're more likely to parse these things more closely.
Bob

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The tobacco is pronounced "la-ta-KEE-ya".
The place in Syria is "la-TAH-kee-ya".
Yes, they're pronounced differently. No, it doesn't make sense why. But that's the way it is.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks. So latakia is a region in Syria where they grow tobacco? And blended with Oriental tobacco + English makes an English Blend?
And Virginia's are just from Virginia
And Aros are God-knows-what-mixed-with-who-knows-what-oils-and-spices?

cleidophoros

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2012
Latakia is a city in Syria. Latakia tobacco is produced in Cyprus these days.
There are different answers to what is an english/balkan blend. Check here http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-news/english-blends-and-latakia-blends-one-in-the-same/ or here http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=90
Aromatics are tobaccos heavily cased/sweetened with additives.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
For the first quite a while that I smoked, I thought I always smoked non-aros because I didn't smoke things like "cherry flavour" or "honey" or whatever, I just bought 'plain' pipe tobacco, which were Virginia blends without any sort of Latakia, haha. Little did I know that all these tobaccos were in fact aros and that I have yet to try a blend with Latakia, though I have an unopened tin of Brebbia right now that has Latakia in it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Latakia is a city in Syria. Latakia tobacco is produced in Cyprus these days.
Not all of it. Any MacBaren blend that has latakia in it has Syrian - Latakia Blend, Plumcake, The Solent Mixture, HH Vintage Syrian. McClelland make some Syrian lat blends,too.
I've been forcing myself to use the term "latakia blend" rather than "English blend" to avoid confusion.

I've been trying to do that, too.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Wait, why does SWR have 'Regular' tobacco and their 'Aromatic' tobacco when the regular doesn't have any Latakia, just Burley . . . according to whats been said here wouldn't that also be considered an aro, or only if there are Virginias in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.