PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Clanobucklin makes a good point, there is no rule that says you ever have to like english blends! :D
I for one, love the hell out of them. It took me about three years to get it! In fact many of you witnessed my transformation on here, I still love my Aros though, I smoke them in the morning and early evening and I smoke my english blends at night!

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I'm an occasional pipesmoker too, and I have to report that Fm on the town worked for me as a crossover. English blends aren't my go-to, but they have an honorable spot in the rotation. Judging that I like FMOTT more than Vintage Syrian, I suspect it's the Basma in there that I like. I think my next few tins will be Orientals/Balkans to explore that theory.
The only blend I've tried so far that gave me the reaction you describe was Solani 633, a vaper. I'm pretty sure it was the N content that did it.
But as far as taste goes, everybody has their own. I loved the taste of the vaper, but it didn't like me. I don't like burley at all but others love it. No one is wrong.
Simon

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Some good advise here, you don't have to love English Blends. I have smoked the pipe over 41 years now and while I do enjoy them occationally, they will never be my mainstay. I love the flavor of latakia, but it is the only tobacco that can give me tongue burn at times. I think it's body chemistry involved. Also once I have smoked an English, the taste and smell seems to stay with me for a long time. There is a down side to liking them, most non smokers find the room note to be terrible. So stick to what you like, there are no set rules and no magic to English blends so don't feel you need to force yourself to smoke them.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
My slant on it is as quite a few have already pointed out, a matter of personal taste. I don't get on with aromatics and liken them to mixing cherry coke with a single malt.

It is my friend a case of whatever floats your boat.

Stick with what YOU like although alweays keep an open mind to trying new blends.

Tobacco is like women, there is no such thing as a bad tobacco blend... just some that are better than others!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
English blends (VA, Latakia + Orientals) is to be sure an acquired taste, like beers, coffees etc. As was mentioned above, a good idea to get into them is to mix them with an Aromatic. For instance, mixing Captain Black (White) with GLP Westminster or even Odyssey, for example, is interesting and leaves a pleasant room note. Non-smokers prefer the room note of aromatics, and not anything with Latakia, so if this is a concern to you, by all means stick with the aromatics. There's so much available today smoke-wise that you can't go wrong if you just smoke what you like. I smoked Capn Black (White) for many many years, and still do on occasion.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Hey Bubba - I smoke Aromatics during the day and move to English Blends at night too. Although my nightcap will (sometimes) be an Aromatic - kind of an after dinner cordial.
I also like to alternate smokes - Aromatic followed by an English followed by another Aromatic followed by an after dinner heavy English - it keeps my taste buds zinging!

my19

Lurker
Apr 29, 2011
New guy here, very new. First tobacco purchase: Penzance. People cautioned that that might be a little bit much for the first bowl. Second purchase: A Boswell pipe with a sample of Countryside, described as a lighter English blend. So that's what I started with, and I love it. Enjoyed a nice bowl at lunchtime on a pleasant Texas afternoon.
I guess you can start with an English blend, though maybe not a powerful English blend, and enjoy it from the start. And soon, it's on to Penzance!

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I firmly believe that many new smokers fixate on aromatics because they've been told over and over that aromatics are the only blends they'll enjoy. A clerk will stand there smoking a Balkan mixture and tell them "You wouldn't like this blend, beginners should start with this stuff over here". And they honestly believe what they're saying because that's what they were told when THEY started.
For many smokers it does take time and experience to appreciate the more complex blends. Many of them will never develop a taste for Latakia or Va/Pers. What's wrong with that? The reason that there are thousands of blends is that we each have our unique preferences.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I loved English blends the first time I tried one! The downside was that I disregarded the tobacconists advice to smoke it on a full stomach, I ate halfway through the bowl and discovered that it will hurt my stomach if I have not eaten a substantial amount.

ajwinter

Lurker
May 2, 2011
Its best not to think on it too much. Categorical definitions tend to limit ones ability to enjoy w/o preconceptions. I became fond of English and Balkan blends prior to knowing a thing about pipe tobacco. Most of the time ignorance is bliss; it just limits ones persuasiveness.

w1nd0wl1cker

Might Stick Around
Apr 4, 2011
I would have to say if your looking for a good smoke that will change your mind about latikia, SG SL is the best.

If your looking for a a good smoke that is just straight VA, Solani Silver Flake or Rattray's Marlin Flake.

If your looking for a nice easy VaPer, Reiner LGF.

Again, this is what works for me.
I'm with you on liking aromatics, but sometimes change is good.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I hate latakia too but lately I've been curious about blends with just a touch of it, like the Early Morning Pipe. I hear it carries a nice nic-punch too.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I love English blends, however, what gives me the nicotine high are the Orientals. As described by GLP when I asked him about why GLP Meridian gives me a "high" his response is that many English blends have various Orientals whereby the Ph level is higher therefore often causing some smokers to get a little dizzy. While English blends have never caused my stomach issues they have caused a kind of head issue. Just a thought.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I like English blends caused for me they offer more depth of flavor than any other blend. I've tried to get into virginias, and while I can do vapers straight va hasn't yet clicked for me. Aromatics are nice too but to me they're very one dimensional and only good if I'm with a gal or something, cause I've only met one gal that likes Latakia and she already had a boyfriend :lol:

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Some have always loved them, some have never like them, and some came to like them but I don't know anyone who has ever left them. Maybe that's what's so good about them. Like others have said, don't force the issue and it's not a big deal if you never like them but don't stop trying to soon because you didn't like one or two blends. Good luck!

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
I started on nothing but room notes.After some time,they were'nt doing it for me.A few of the gentlemen on PM,introduced me to some english blends,I really liked them.Now im all about taste.

Jul 12, 2011
English blends for me offer great flavor and a nice kick I enjoy from time to time...my go to-s:
Dunhill EMP and London Mix

SG-SL

Low country's cooper from smokingpipes.com

C&D Billy Budd and Star of the East

Boswell's Northwoods

MC's Frog's

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I shied away from the "English" blends for 20 years, fearing the strength and the possible harshness of those exotic tobaccos. But once I had tried Dunhill 965 I realized what I had been depriving myself from all those years. Frog Morton on the Bayou is far harsher to me than the English blends I have tried. Stokeby's Proper English and Edwards Special Balkan are similar to the 965. I'll take Penzance anytime as well. McClellands Blue Mountain is really good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.