PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
seinfeld.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I really pay little attention to the market shifts in the short term. I'm not a day trader and am pretty conservative. So, I'm not too interested in the day to day activities. We'll see in a year or two what shakes out.

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
+1, arvetus! My dad always said "In all things, moderation." Some of the best advice going these days on dieting is "portion control", the same principle. Another thought: pipe tobacco seems as close as anything to an all-natural product, and our hairy ancestors lived long and healthy lives eating, drinking, and yes, smoking natural products, in moderation. Admittedly, much of their "moderation" was due to difficulty of acquisition, but it led to the same end. So I say; eat, drink, (smoke), and be merry in healthy moderation! Life's too short to do otherwise.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I really pay little attention to the market shifts in the short term. I'm not a day trader and am pretty conservative. So, I'm not too interested in the day to day activities. We'll see in a year or two what shakes out.
Long term is the best strategy if you're investing in the market. I have no crystal ball. But my instincts tell me that this market is due for a dose of ex-lax. Last time I felt this way was February 2007. Time will tell.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I suspect that the increase in RYO taxes a few years ago is part of the reason things are changing. That resulted in a large number of cigarette rollers switching to "pipe" tobacco, which brought new customers and more money to on-line tobacco dealers and probably resulted in an increase in the number of people who actually smoke tobacco in a pipe.
Unfortunately, one inevitable result of this is that the feds will eventually start taxing pipe tobacco at the same rate as cigarette tobacco.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I believe in "our" country, many younger people are also voluntarily enlisting, going to war, fighting fires, going to work every day, paying mortgages, raising children, patrolling the streets, selling produce, working farms, and in general simply living a decent life, making a substantial, positive contribution to society.
I don't disagree with that. And many are protesting, refusing to work, falsely feel enabled and expecting a handout. I suppose to some degree, most every generation has said something similar about those following them.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I suppose to some degree, most every generation has said something similar about those following them.
I'm paraphrasing here, but there was a Gallup poll conducted in the mid-1930s showing how everyone was convinced the 'younger generation' was by far the least patriotic, laziest, most irresponsible generation in living memory. Of course now we refer to them (rightly( as the Greatest Generation.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
our hairy ancestors lived long and healthy lives
I'd love to see some supporting documentation on that. I know there were some singular long lives but, as a general statement, not hardly! Depending on stats used, including child mortality stats or not, living past fifty wasn't a given anywhere in the world until the mid 1800's, a child reaching age 5 could reasonable expect to live to age 50+.
Maybe it only seemed like a long life between plague, war, starvation, working the field or the mine. Or, for those hairy ones, mastodon hunting.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I suspect that the increase in RYO taxes a few years ago is part of the reason things are changing. That resulted in a large number of cigarette rollers switching to "pipe" tobacco, which brought new customers and more money to on-line tobacco dealers and probably resulted in an increase in the number of people who actually smoke tobacco in a pipe.
Unfortunately, one inevitable result of this is that the feds will eventually start taxing pipe tobacco at the same rate as cigarette tobacco.
A bill to do exactly that (tax pipe tobacco at the same rate as cigarettes) is currently pending in Congress. However, my understanding is that it's stalled out, and analysts say it has a very narrow chance of passing. If I recall properly, current pipe tobacco taxes are less than $3.00 per pound, and the bill would increase the taxes to about $25.00 per pound.
Even though it probably won't happen yet, I expect you're right that it will happen at some point, probably in the not-too-distant future

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd love to see some supporting documentation on that. I know there were some singular long lives but, as a general statement, not hardly!
I would agree. And I also think the primary health issues today have very little to do with tobacco. Perhaps all the vaccinations are contributing to health issues. OTOH, what issues might there be without them? All the fattening fast foods, toxic wastes and other horrible crap our bodies take in are a big problem. Given the ever increasing population, those are likely to get worse instead of better.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Artificialme: I have quite a few friends in their 30ies, who regularly frequent Gyms It looks like a majority of those dudes planning to live forever and never die,they say I'm outdated, being only 20 years them older
Yes! That's it. They always trying to live as healthy as they can. Too much for me anyway. To me, I have another way to enjoy my life without being ultra healthy. Hahaha

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Unfortunately, one inevitable result of this is that the feds will eventually start taxing pipe tobacco at the same rate as cigarette tobacco."
Some years ago over here HM Government twigged that RYO smokers were saving a packet by buying ribbon cut pipe tobaccos, usually in bulk, for use in their cigarettes. HMG then threatened to up the taxes of pipe tobacco to match that of proper RYO tobacco. The upshot was the producers chose to increase the size of the cut making it much more thicker to dissuade said RYO smokers.
That failed to work so it's only a matter of time afore pipe tobacco will increase in price, over here at least.
Regards,
Jay.

arvetus

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2018
And I also think the primary health issues today have very little to do with tobacco. Perhaps all the vaccinations are contributing to health issues. OTOH, what issues might there be without them? All the fattening fast foods, toxic wastes and other horrible crap our bodies take in are a big problem.
You're onto something there. Sugar is a huge contributing factor, in my opinion. It's now in everything. Our ancestors consumed nowhere near the amount of sugar we consume now. Excess sugar contributes to chronic inflammation and failure of the pancreas. Diabetes and chronic inflammation only exacerbate any other issue that comes along...heart disease, lung disease, etc. I am also of the opinion that cigarettes are probably the most harmful of all the tobacco products for many reasons: it's directly inhaled, all the excess chemicals used in preparation and growing, etc. Not that pipe or cigar smoking isn't bad, but I personally don't feel it's as bad. Anything that is being burned has potential carcinogens. At that rate, I might as well get lung cancer from my grill or because I like my bacon burned.
BUT....everything in moderation. Nothing wrong with taking some enjoyment in something tangible. I find it helps me center myself spiritually...maybe some of you do too...if you're into that sort of thing.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Artificialme:I'm choosing the same general approach

Mawnansmiff:This already happened here,taxation is the same for both pipe and rolling tobacco, 35gr of better quality Ryo would cost somewhere between 6-7e and basic 50gr pouch of Amphora or Mc Barens is 19euro,tough 4 % tax increase is again expected in the coming year.

Status
Not open for further replies.