PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I'd be packing that hole with my special tamper....all night long. packing, packing, and more packing until the smoke came rolling out. :wink:

Jul 12, 2011
If I haven't beat Hobie to it...I will say there is "no equal" to Penzance,

put in the time and you will aquire it , also taken from the book of Hob ;-)

make lots of calls to B&Ms, understand their stocks and build great

relationships, then they will call u and tell you it has arrived and how much

would you like ;-) my experience

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
My tamper is 65 years old! Don't do it all night long. Guess I need to get a special one. Have the old cheap one.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Lol. Getting back to the original question, I have a tin of Fuselier's Ration, and while I was smoking it I thought it was very much like Penzance. It has been open about a month, and that might be why I thought so. Very exquisite smoke.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but since Penzance is my favorite tobacco, I wanted to add my .02.
I'll agree with the poster who noted that there is nothing else that smokes like Penzance. I'm always baffled by those who think of it as a heavy latakia mixture; it's not at all. But there is a zing to the Orientals in Penzance, when fresh, that I've never gotten from any similar blend -- not even those also made by Germain/Esoterica. Exhale through the nose and you'll immediately recognize if you're smoking a fresh tin or one with a year or more of age on it. (Herein lies a problem, too; I much prefer fresh Penzance to aged. . . but aging is inevitable if you want to assure yourself of sufficient supply down the road.)
Now, if you want to get close, I'd recommend Germain's Royal Jersey: Special Latakia Flake and Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader. (I'm definitely interested in trying the Brebbia blend that others have recommended. I think their Preludio Mixture No. 60 is outstanding, and a bit similar to the discontinued Raven's Wing from GLPease.) I enjoy Margate a lot, but to my palate it doesn't resemble Penzance.
Bob

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I haven't tried Germains Royal Jersey yet, I've sworn off PAD so if anyone can send me a small sample it would be greatly appreciated. Squadron Leader is way out of the same ballpark from Penzance IMHO

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I love Penzance; smoke a bowl every evening and I am the fella who "commissioned" Sterlings 1776 American Patriot. It has an almost identical pouch aroma and it offers a similar smoke experience. Unfortunately, Jack Peterson is unable to press his tobacco so it is not exactly the same. It is a robust blend and it requires some smoking experience but unfortunately there really is no substitute for the real Penzance. Everything IMO is second best.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Chris wrote:
Squadron leader even close to penzance??? I don't think so..
It's been four years since I've smoked SL, but here's what I wrote back in 2008 when I went through a tin:
"This is a solid English blend that puts a slight emphasis on the orientals and shifts the latakia into a support position. The orientals here are slightly sour and pungent, and they bring just the right note to the blend. (To my palate, orientals range from sour or acrid to sweet and incense-like. But "sour" or "acrid" shouldn't be taken as negatives; I enjoy ALL of these variations.)
My favorite tobacco style is a rich Balkan blend, so I had to keep reminding myself this was never intended to be that. It's a mild-to-medium English that just happens to highlight the orientals, balancing them with some darker-tasting Virginias and a good dash of latakia.
Over the years, I've had a number of middle-of-the-road English blends that simply didn't bring anything special to the table. Squadron Leader stands out. It doesn't reach the heights of some richer blends that I absolutely love -- Westminster, Odyssey, Penzance, Yenidje Highlander -- but it soars."
Maybe it's telling that I didn't directly compare it to Penzance in this review. . . suggesting that my memory of how close it fit might be off. At the same time, re-reading this review reminds me of how much I enjoyed that initial tin. Maybe it's time to revisit it! :)
Bob

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Park Lanes Tobacconists makes a blend called Knightsbridge that in taste is very similar to Penzance, it is a rich, creamy and full flavored English.

It is available here: http://cigarsandpipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.