PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
What are some pipe shapes that, try as you might, you can't get into? Are there any pipe shapes that aren't "you" - as in, you can't ever see yourself smoking one?
Here are mine:
1. Churchwarden. Although I know why people like them, it just doesn't appeal to me. I could never see myself smoking one.
2. Poker. As much as I hate to say this, my first pipe was a poker - but that was way back when, and I think the shape looks a little dated for some reason. I grew out of them.
3. Hawkbill. They just look seriously backwards or something, like you're in a Picasso painting in another dimension. I just can't see myself smoking one unless I'm upside down.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I'm not a fan of the church warden or the calabash. Ones too long and the other is just too big a clunky for me.
You might like a Poker, you could beat your dentist with it :rofl:

adam12

May 16, 2011
Funniest thing was, when I was in college, my dentist was a pipe guy. He used to see me at the pipe shop I worked at!

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
1. Freehands

2. Gourd Calabashes

3. Figurals
To be honest I haven't actually tried to like any of em, cause they're all so damned ugly!

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I'm with you on churchwardens. Very visually unappealing. A friend of mine says I should look past it b/c they smoke so good...I think I'll try smoking his first before I drop coin on an ugly pipe. I also don't care much for most Meerschaums. The lattice type are about the only ones I would consider owning.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Not a fan of the bulldog/rhodesian, tomato, prince, calabash (I know part of pipe smoking is not giving a hoot what others think, but seriously, most people look ridiculous smoking a calabash), or those silly nose warmers.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
anything modernistic that doesn't look like a pipe--also not fond of dublins--

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
The tomato is rather unappealing, particularly the squashed tomato.
I don't much like straight stems, where the briar chamber is almost entirely above the parallel line of the stem.
But I think if any of us were stuck with nothing but our least favorite shape of briar pipe and plenty of our favorite tobacco, we'd find a way to get over our fashion sense and puff happily.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I can't see myself with an Oom Paul...and I'm another who doesn't like churchwardens. My first pipe was a very overpriced small (8 inch) churchwarden because I believed the cigar store owner telling me it'd be the coolest smoke I ever had. It wasn't.

Wish I'd found this place first, but I'm a way happy smoker now.

Edit to add that I believe zanthal very much haha

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Hey if your stuck with a hideous pipe and your favourite tobacco, there's nothing a file and sharp knife wouldn't fix.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
It's hard for me to make any fast judgements on a pipe based on shape alone. I find myself slowly attracted to more and more shapes. Although I will admit that a large portion of free hands I don't find particularly attractive. Oom Paul's, tomatoes and all the way to classic Dublin shape! I just like having all kinds of options.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
tomato and straight stems not saying dont own a straight stem I have 2 that are mine and maybe get smoked once a yr

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Not into the calabash, oom paul, Dublin, volcano, or full bent pipes. I cant see me smoking a churchwarden all the time, but I would like to have one good one for that every now and again smoke. I didn't care for pokers until I started seeing smaller more elegant pokers from the Danes like Eltang and Stanwell. Love those red Stanwell Featherweight pokers.

adam12

May 16, 2011
I'll second the freehand, Flyfish. To me, they look like "luxury pipes of the 1970's". Really dated. But I do recall a time when they were very popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.