PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
In that case, you may be able to dispute the charge directly through PayPal. Whatever you choose to do regarding getting some kind of recompense from Norwoods, I would seek out the services of an outfit like Walker. I can personally attest that Mike Myers at Walker Pipe Repair is extraordinarily patient and understanding when taking a request for a replacement stem.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Good news - I have received $35 from Norwoods after filing a paypal claim. buroak nailed it. Thank you all so much. I will be sending the pipe to Tim West for a true replacement stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This does somewhat throw a shadow over pipe repair, in the sense that it discourages sending in old friends (pipes)

for a general sprucing up, when they are in generally good repair. I've thought of having a little new life breathed into

a pipe or two that I've had for over thirty years, like the first pipe I ever bought, a Tinder Box St. Ives bent sitter pot, or

my Savenelli unfinished (now beautiful finished by smoking and time) shape 404, and so forth. Now I feel I'd do better

to just enjoy them as-is, or do a little rehab myself. Why send a pipe away for a year, unless it's do or die, or send it

away to have its integrity and your pleasure in it diminished. I'm whining a little here, but in a considered way. Pipe

repair; don't fix it if it ain't broke.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This does somewhat throw a shadow over pipe repair, in the sense that it discourages sending in old friends (pipes)

for a general sprucing up, when they are in generally good repair. I've thought of having a little new life breathed into

a pipe or two that I've had for over thirty years, like the first pipe I ever bought, a Tinder Box St. Ives bent sitter pot, or

my Savenelli unfinished (now beautiful finished by smoking and time) shape 404, and so forth. Now I feel I'd do better

to just enjoy them as-is, or do a little rehab myself. Why send a pipe away for a year, unless it's do or die, or send it

away to have its integrity and your pleasure in it diminished. I'm whining a little here, but in a considered way. Pipe

repair; don't fix it if it ain't broke.
One pipe throws a shadow over pipe repair? A year? Really? I don't know Norwood and have never had him do any work on my pipes,but I have heard many good things about him over the last several years. I'm not condoning the work on this pipe although I will say that a two color dot like that is not easy to do--if it has to be made from scratch. As mentioned above there was probably an easy fix for this as long as the stem color was suitable.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I don't know about a shadow but it should at least discourage pipe repair from Norwooods on better grade pipes (thanks samcoffeeman). I think we all understand that mistakes happen and will continue to happen. But be real, that stem shouldn't have left their building and they should have done whatever it took to make it right. Bad business is bad business. I could live with the shape and would have if the dot was correct. If it is a difficult logo to do then either don't say you can do it (which they told me up front they could) or try until you get it right.
I am thrilled that I got the advice I needed in this thread to get some resolution. I am just happy to put it behind me and move on. I sold some Stonehaven to fund this little project and am looking forward to the day I get this pipe back from Tim West. It is only fitting that the first bowl smoked will be Stoney.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Tim is great but be prepared to wait. I sent him 5 meerschaums last May and I believe he may now be getting around to them. Trust me when I say it will be a long wait but well worth it.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
but then you need to be prepared to wait a very long time and develop other hobbies like gnome hurling to pass the time or perhaps start a family or something along those lines.
Condor
That was a good one.
I've used Walker and they have done good work for me, although I waited several months for the repairs. They did provide a time line to let me know appx when it would be next in the queue.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks Teddy, I have a Comoys that needs a new stem and was thinking of trying Norwoods. I've obviously re-thought that idea.

Uggg, this is why I have someone else proof my work before it hits the door. Ugg, I would hate to have a mistake like that hit the interwebs. It's a silly mistake, and he is probably banging his head on his workbench for letting that leave the shop. But, accidents happen, ha ha.

I have a bulldog pipe stem that I made for myself that is slightly crooked from the levelness of the button to the square of the shank. It drives me crazy. I would never let one leave the shop like that, but for myself... I guess I just keep smoking it as a reminder to be more careful lining up those angles, ha ha.
Glad you are getting this resolved.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
peteguy, I am glad you were able to get at least some money back. A Tim West stem will be worth the wait. Please post pictures when you get your new stem.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
....he gets five stars in the communications department.
Yep, and he is very careful in his packaging for return shipment. That should be an unremarkable trait, but it is not.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
I've been using Floyd and Ken Norwood ever since Mike Myers referred me to them. I was surprised by the referral, but gratified with the Norwood's fast work and satisfactory results.
I've sent them about a dozen pipes and they have yet to disappoint me. Most of these are antique meerschaums with no stem, so the fix is pretty simple, a screw tenon and a lucite bit in an appropriate color.
However, one little pipe had a hole in the mouth of the face of the old salt, meant to hold a pipe. They made me a tiny matching pipe to go with the stem. It was great!
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

Status
Not open for further replies.