PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Refuse to open a new tin. Have two aromatics opened and they are not going away soon. But if I get rid of Plum Pudding soon, I might open Artisan's Blend or Squadron Leader. Do have two tins of holiday blend that SP sent out for buying Peterson pipes. Not sure where they are and not sure if I really want to open them.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Buffalo

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Okay, I think I should have worded this thread a little differently....

What I intended by my original post, was what components would you pick for a home blended Holiday blend. These could be either individual components such as Green River Burley, Red or Stoved Virginia or Cyprian Latakia OR what available blends would one combine to make their 2022 Holiday Blend.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012

Sutliff RC-272, a smorgasbord of leaf: burley, Virginia, flue cured, Smyrna, and Latakia. Three flavors: vanilla, rum, and cinnamon further enhance this rather remarkable English style blend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JOHN72 and Buffalo

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I would maybe try a mix of bright and red Virginia's, some dark fired Kentucky, a little dark burley, with some Cavendish with cinnamon and fruit flavorings...have no solid idea how it would turn out, but a strong tobacco forward blend with a hint of sweetness and spice sounds good to me for the holidays!

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ

What I intended by my original post, was what components would you pick for a home blended Holiday blend. These could be either individual components such as Green River Burley, Red or Stoved Virginia or Cyprian Latakia OR what available blends would one combine to make their 2022 Holiday Blend.
You certainly should NOT have, look how much fun everyone is having not getting what you meant. Glad you are getting the blending suggestions you were searching for now though puffypuffypuffy😉😁

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Christmas Cheer, English Chocolate, Golden Days of Yore, and We Three Kings here.
Ditto for me, minus the English Chocolate. GDOY is certainly in the running for my favorite aromatic.

I make a homemade blend that goes great with a Bailey’s and coffee: folding up half a flake each of HH Burley Flake and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
My tradition the past few years has been to crack open a tin of Cringle Flake from the previous year. It has served me well.

I did pick up a tin of each of C&D's Golden Days of Yore and Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose a couple of years ago. They were enjoyable the first few smokes, but then I got a little tired of them.

Aros just don't seem to do well for me. I really want them to because some of them smell fantastic, but it just doesn't seem to work out most of the time.

Only Aro that I smoked an entire tin of has been Erinmore Flake. But it just tasted like really good tobacco to me.

Reactions: KruegerFlap and STP
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I have some Strauss Sleepy Hollow that I'm still enjoying and will continue for another 2-3 weeks. With the Christmas season, I will be rotating between Jolly Old St. Nicholas, We Three Kings and some Sutliff Christmas Spice. Along with those, I'm still mixing in my go-tos, Quiet Nights, Pirate Kake and Boswell's Northwoods. All in all, a decent rotation, I'd say.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
This holiday season will be highlighted by some Cringle Flake 2019, some Christmas Cheer 2000, maybe a few bowls of Jolly Old St Nicholas and whatever else strikes my fancy.
Cringle 2019 is simply spectacular. I have stored a number of tins and look forward to opening one soon. I kick myself that I was an English and aromatic smoker and never tried Christmas Cheer.

Reactions: KruegerFlap and STP

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have some Strauss Sleepy Hollow that I'm still enjoying and will continue for another 2-3 weeks. With the Christmas season, I will be rotating between Jolly Old St. Nicholas, We Three Kings and some Sutliff Christmas Spice. Along with those, I'm still mixing in my go-tos, Quiet Nights, Pirate Kake and Boswell's Northwoods. All in all, a decent rotation, I'd say.
Seeing some of you Lat faves wondering if you’ve tried SG Commonwealth? If not give it a world quality blend 50/50 Lat /VA

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA

Well I completely blew past this and still didn't give the correct answer.

If I were looking at components, then my picks would be some Aged/Stoved Red Virginia for some tangy, rich, dark fruit notes; spicy/incense-like Orientals for some exotic aromas; and maybe just a tad of Latakia for that fireplace ambiance; then just a touch of unsweetened Black Cavendish for some creamy mouthfeel to round it all out.

If you wanted to add a topping to it, then maybe one that included hints of apple cider, cloves, cinnamon and star anise.

Now that I'm reading this, I might go and try to whip up a batch of this! I've got all of the components.

Even though I don't gravitate towards Aros, maybe if I'm subtle with the sauce then it'll just be a hint of the Holiday aromas with some solid tobacco flavor.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Next time you're in the market, pick up some Sutliff Pumpkin Spice. I'm not convinced that they're different blends.
You know, I was curious about that. I remember seeing Sutliff's PS a few months ago and wondered. Anyone else feel if they are close to the same as well?

I won't need any anytime soon (unless I go on a tear), I still have about 4-5 ozs left from the 8 I got last year.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good morning fellow pipers!

I saw this morning the Rattray's Winter Edition has been released here in the states, albeit hard to snag as they always seem to be. It got me to thinking, what would myself and other smokers want in a Holiday blend? And is that a blend we could concoct from existing blends or available leaf. So no McClelland virginias or Syrian Latakias.

I would think for this occasion, something semi-aromatic would be called for, but maybe not, maybe it is a hearty English blend, or perhaps it is a crossover blend. If you were able to design a blend especially for this season, what would it be? I look forward to your ideas! And who knows, maybe this will turn into a project where we mix up a big batch up and send it out to those that participate!
After Secret Santa this year my blend will be Scotch with a touch of ice.