What tobacco/blend do you use for the first few bowls in a NEW pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Never understood the break in tobacco idea. I do however almost always smoke Cut Virginia Plug as the first smoke in any new pipe. This is mainly to see if it is going to be a good flake pipe rather than as a break in tobacco. Bought a new pipe at the Briary. First smoke was CVP. Have smoked it twice since then. Had a bowl of Sutliffs Court of St. James and a bowl of McClellands Navy Cavendish. I smoke whatever. Some guys seem to think that they need a quick cake build up but the break in process is a part of the fun especially on a bare briar bowl. So take your time, smoke what you like, enjoy it.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Carter Hall for me, however that is because it is one of my all time favourite tobaccos. But I don't think of it that way, the other day I broke in a new Savinelli with McClellan Blue Mountain/Balkan Blue so I say just smoke what you want in it. Fill her up and puff away.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Here's what I found:

uc

But I mostly use this one instead, as recommended by a local tobacconists:

http://www.cigarworld.de/pfeifentabak/pfeifentabak/vauen-pfeifentabak-truellerie-tab-tr-50g-90006697_6847
What frustrates me is many smokers here in Germany prefer aromatics and also mostly use pipes with filters. I am trying to break in some new filtered pipes to get myself accustomed to the local aromatics-filtered-pipes mainstream culture.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only tobacco I wouldn't use is something renown for ghosting a pipe (leaving behind its scent and taste

for a prolonged period of time) like some of the Lakeland blends. And I think I'd avoid strong aromatics, especially the

very moist ones (goopey as they are called) that tend to leave behind a residue. Otherwise, smoke what you are

currently enjoying.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have never purchased a new pipe as all of mine are 'New Old Pipes' so to speak. I tend to ream them out and remove the 100+ years of soot and clinker from the bowl and put a pipe cleaner up the stem. After I have done that I usually smoke a few bowls of Black Twist in the pipe as it doesn't burn too hot and it gives me time to check for cracking or other problems with the meerschaum. Once it has been through that process I just load it up with the old Condor or Condor Plug and smoke away until its time to clean it, rest it and add it to my rotation.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't want to buy (too many) new pipes either, but I am picky and usually quite specific in the shapes and style when I buy a pipe, or else I would have remorse for months and years... Filtered pipes are minority in the world market and in the estate market even in where I live, and I have much fewer options. Therefore, I have spoiled my smoking self to have just 2 new filtered pipes, dedicated mainly to aromatic.
Thanks to the wisdom from the forum members, here is what I am trying to break in with some nice cool burning Virginia / Burley mixture:

uc

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
...because I wont even smoke those tobaccos in a burned out destroyed cobbity cornity pipe cause the only thing an aromatic is good for is tossing over the neighbors fence at his barking cats who keeps all the neighbors up at night fighting with the sasquatch that is trying to ...
I want to agree because I switched to smoke mainly English quite some time ago.

However, if I am around no well-seasoned pipe smokers, but some kids who won't take a second look at my aged Virginia flake and aged English mixture blends, and would be interested in only trying out things like 'Strawberry-flavored', 'Waldmeister-flavored'. I have to be kind to play with them a little bit on these aromatics, and I bought two filtered pipes for the very similar reason: I don't want to burn my tongue with aromatics and I don't want to contaminate my other pipes with these aromatics.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
All I do is figure out what I want to smoke and smoke it. Usually only half a bowl for the first smoke, and I have certain pipes for LAT heavy blends. Everything else I use for whatever I like. (Side note - I do NOT smoke Aros)

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
If it is going to be a Va pipe - Dunhill Flake or other va flake , otherwise ODF

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm bad about one blend per pipe. I always use buying a new pipe as an excuse to try a new tobacco, and if I like the blend, I will cellar up on it. Then I tend to smoke that blend or a similar one in that pipe.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I use Red Cake as well, and as a "goto" blend standard in one of my pouches. It's a good, basic tobacco introduced to me by a forum member. (I'm terrible--I can't remember his user name--if you see this, sing out!)

Status
Not open for further replies.