PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lannarkgent

Lurker
Aug 20, 2014
I am a newbie here, but I didn't post this in the newbie section because I thought this question might be of general interest. I have cellared just three pounds of English style tobacco -- One pound each of Stockkebye'e Proper English, Optimum, and English Luxury.

I use half pint canning jars after I wash and dry them thoroughly. I pack them with tobacco, heat in the microwave for 40 seconds, seal them tightly with lids, wait five minutes and give the caning rings one more good twist before storing them in a dark dry closet in my basement. The heating in the microwave BTW creates a vacuum seal when the jars cool.
I would like to use the same technique to commit at least 2 pounds of a Virginia based bulk blend. Any suggestions regarding tobacco choice would be deeply appreciated.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum lannarkgent ... here's a few suggestions in bulk:
Newminster - No. 400 Superior Navy Flake

McClelland - Bulk No.5100 Red Cake

Mac Baren - Virginia No.1

Hearth & Home - Marble Kake
If you want to add a little Perique or Burley to that, the list gets much bigger. :)

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
If you like PS blends then I would recommend Luxury Navy Flake. It ages very well and is extremely reasonably priced. They sell the 1.5 lb boxes for a great price at smokingpipes.
Samuel Gawith also has Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake available in bulk as well. They are both great and age fantastically as well.
You will get a lot of other great recommendations I'm sure.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
If we're talking strictly bulk, Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake (Virginia/Perique), Luxury Twist Flake (VaPer with something else... Burley I think.), and Luxury Bullseye Flake (VaPer with a cavendish center). Also, Newminster's Superior Navy Flake, MacBaren's Virginia No. 1, and several from McClelland, come to mind. You can also purchase one pound boxes, 500 gram boxes, one pound bags, eight ounce bags, and eight ounce tins (cans) from a variety of different manufacturers.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Damn, I thought I was gonna be the first to answer. Oh well, welcome to the club. :puffy:

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Gawith Full Virginia Flake or Gawith St. James Flake. Someone will say Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, but I thin that St. James Flake is a much better Virginia/Perique.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Not strictly Virginia, but, +1 on the Mississippi River. That stuff is sooooooo good.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Here's the crowd's recommendations...
http://tobaccocellar.com/

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have to go with cobguy, give Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake a nod.

I just recently opened a jar with a couple years of age on it, and it blew me away!

I've tried many tinned and so called boutique blends, but this economical bulk tobacco is a stand-out when aged.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Curl, that is interesting. Pretty wild how much it dominates the tobaccocellar.com list. People don't talk about Full Virginia Flake all that much on this forum any more. It seems like a few years ago it was considered the bee's knee's but maybe it is old hat now? Certainly, you don't have the mad dash for it like Penzance or Balkan Sobranie or others. I personally think it is pretty good, but have several Virginias that I prefer to it.

lannarkgent

Lurker
Aug 20, 2014
Thanks for all of the recommendations so far.

I have Samuel Gawith on my list of things to try. I am guessing that one of the ways to cellar might be to lay a foundation of bulk tobaccos, and then gradually add tins. My starting Idea is to lay in (hopefully) 10 pounds of some of the bulk blends that I like such as English Luxury. I have tried a couple of Virginia blends locally and I think the recommendations will save me a lot of time .

I have added some Drew Estates (Grand Central) as well. Even though I am usually not a fan of Aromatics, I enjoy the blends by Drew Estates.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I cellar what I like. If it's available in bulk, I like the savings. If it's only available as a tin, then I have to decide if the blend is worth the tin premium or if there's a bulk substitute that'll make me and my budget happy.
For instance, there are a lot of very good tinned Va-Pers but the PS luxury flakes are pretty alright. If I buy some of those tins it will be because I lost my mind, you know, TAD.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
Dunhill MM965, FM Cellar, and Escudo are the 3 I have the most stocked away.

Welcome

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
no... I just have it in my cellar in the tin version. He (OP) didn't specify bulk or not.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Microwaving your tobacco in jars for 40 seconds? My guess is you're cooking out some of the good stuff that makes a blend worth aging before you even start.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lucky ... I was just giving you a little fun ribbing there! :D
He does actually say this though ...

... at least 2 pounds of a Virginia based bulk blend
Your post only caught my attention because I would LOVE for it to come in bulk! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.