What Should I Expect To Pay For A Dunhill?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The date mark looks like the 1956 mark. A 1966 smooth pipe,
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/bruyere1.html#oda850
Also just looking at the patina, I'd say it's older. It has that 1950's "craggier" blast look to it (a good thing). Maybe not your birth year pipe, but still a keeper! :)

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I see what you are saying. Definitely a '56.
Boy do I feel silly! :oops:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Randelli, don't feel silly I gifted someone what I thought was a birthyear Dunnie and got the decade wrong as well. You're in good company. :nana:

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Maybe so, but I allowed myself to splurge (for me) on a birth year Dunhill, And I know that I will obsess over this until I do get one. I don't really need to splurge on two Dunhills, so as nice as this pipe is, it is going back.
Lightmybriar contacted me last night and practically forced me to return it - he is a stand-up guy. I think we both learned an important lesson about small underlined numbers vs regular sized numbers. Good thing too because I see scores of small underlined numbers advertised as '66 pipes. I could have just as easily made this mistake over ebay - Luckily for me it was with a forum friend that wants to set it straight.
Three cheers for lightmybriar!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some master of business administration student could do an interesting masters thesis on how Dunhill pipes established and maintained very high prices both in used (estate) and new pipes. Or maybe better focus on new, to keep the study manageable. They're beautiful and well-made pipes, mostly, but not more so than a wide range of artisanal pipes that cost a lot, but less than Dunhills (you can name your own examples). This took a lot of skillful marketing and policing of retail of the brand. Some of the senior pipe men on Forums remember when Kaywoodie was a more expensive pipe than Dunhill, and neither was beyond the reach of a devoted middle class pipe smoker. Today I think the pricing almost takes care of itself, by image and mystique, although Dunhill still controls it retailers. How do you make something seem scarce and appealing at a very high price, and still sell in volume? That's an impressive feat.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Lightmybriar contacted me last night and practically forced me to return it - he is a stand-up guy. I think we both learned an important lesson about small underlined numbers vs regular sized numbers. Good thing too because I see scores of small underlined numbers advertised as '66 pipes. I could have just as easily made this mistake over ebay - Luckily for me it was with a forum friend that wants to set it straight.
The search continues... :)

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Yep, that's about right!
It also means that this beautiful 1956 billiard is back on the market. PM lightmybriar for deets...

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
In the mailbox today was this great 66 Dunhill apple:

20170518_180633_zpsvctdyygn.jpg

20170518_180321_zpsak3k60pa.jpg

Lightmybriar was very helpful in finding this. I am trying it out with my first ever FM On The Town - really nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.