What SF And/Or Fantasy Book Would You Like Made Into A Movie Or Mini Series?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I liked LOTR even with the changes--many of them made a lot of sense.
The Hobbit was a handful of powerful and evocative vignettes (Dwarves chanting at Bag End while Gandalf smoked and stared at the fire, for example) punctuated by hours of dross and fluff and dullness.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Oh this is tough... I'm one of those SF/F fans who thinks that some works are sacred and shouldn't be touched. I'm like that with Neil Gaiman's Sandman books. I just don't think that the translation from TPB to screen would capture the story and characters in a way I'd appreciate. However, I think that we deserve a big screen version of the Gaiman and Pratchett collaboration piece Good Omens. That would be a wonderful romp and would move to big screen enormously well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens
I enjoyed both the Lynch and the SciFi channel versions of Dune; but truly lament what would have been if this had ever become a reality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodorowsky%27s_Dune
I stopped reading Jordan's Wheel of Time series in the late nineties as I was tired of the way he characterized women and kept repeating the same tropes in an ever expanding spiral of gigantic books and long gaps between publications. That said, I think that a distillation of this series would translate well to an HBO-esque series. I'd say the same for the original Dragonlance Chronicles (Autumn, Winter, Spring) which have been done, poorly, as both an animated and live action feature.
On the SF front, I have always thought that a film treatment of Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos would be fun. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos
-- Pat

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
(To go on a slight tangent) pruss: did you listen to the Good Omens BBC radio adaptation? Quite decent.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'd be up for Elric or Fafhrd and Gray Mouser. More Discworld on the screen? Sure, sign me up!
As for Dune, I also didn't completely hate the movie, I own the theatrical and extended cuts. I am, however, not a big fan of the continual VO by the characters. My wife loves it when I watch the film and scream at the screen, "WHY CAN I HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS?!!?" Didn't mind this as much in original Blade Runner, which is often criticized for the same reason. It was like Deckard was reading his police report and I could take it or leave it, but I sure did hate it in Dune!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. But not a low budget crappy series like last time.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Every few years there is talk of a Dark Tower movie or series. But it never gets off the ground. That's probably a good thing, because I'm sure I'd end up nitpicking to death whatever the end result was.
On a side note, this thread has become an interesting and unintended sci fi/fantasy reading list. Lots of titles I'm not (yet) familiar with.
Thanks for the accidental recommendations!

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
+2 for the Hyperion Cantos. Dan Simmons epic space opera is second only to the Dune series in terms of mixing high ideas with grand adventure. I'd love to see all four books get a loving series/mini-series adaptation.
I've always thought the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander deserved better than the Disney movie that pushed two books together and was sloppy with its characters. They'd probably make one heck of a good older kids/younger teens tv show.
The Temeraire series needs to happen. It's Horatio Hornblower with DRAGONS! Why hasn't that been done yet.
And, while its too early to know if the series will continue at the high quality of the first three, I'd love to the see the Gentleman Bastard books on film. Fantasy con-men is such a great idea and the execution has been top notch as well.
On the "actually happening" front, I'm super excited for both "Forever War" and "The Stars My Destination." I hope they both get treated with the respect they deserve.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Twangthang, how about World Of Tiers by Farmer? +1 for Dies The Fire mvmadore,

and I forgot Hammer's Slammers by Drake!

HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOT DRAKE?
Plugugly

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Sable, kudos for TRON, not the best of Jeff Bridges or Bruce Boxleitner but good for the time and good to the special effects.

LOTR is a hard remake since the book was so long to begin with. An interim between Hobbit and LOTR might be interesting for fans but not so hot for non-fans...

I really liked Reacher but did not particularly like tom Cruise in the role since he was the diminutive form of the book character. There is no shortage of Reacher novels.

I have always been amazed that none of the Stuart Woods novels with Stone Barrington have never been made into movies; light story lines and attractive characters.

Has a Clive Cussler novel never been made into a movie? How is that possible?

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Lucifer's Hammer, by Niven and Pournelle (1977)

Alas, Babylon, by Pat Frank (1959)

Status
Not open for further replies.