What Retired Blends Would you Bring Back?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
None of them. The components and processes wouldn't be the same so the blends would only be brought back by name only.
This not withstanding, I would love to see some of the “American heritage” burley blends back. Seeing George Washington on the shelf next to PA and SWR would be great.

If there is a company focusing on resurrecting true to life old blends, I’m in.

Reactions: Servant King

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
A few things are very likely to occur if any discontinued tobacco blends were resurrected - even if the exact original tobaccos & formulas were used.
First, many would swear that the old release was better and something has changed. Others would be convinced that the company was sold. and revert back to the first issue. Another likelihood is that, once the novelty wore off, it would be just another offering.
Still, I wouldn't mind seeing some tins of Old Dog and Scottish Woods dropped in my lap! rotf

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
We can still buy most of my favorites, but if I was being greedy I’d take Gallaher’s Irish Roll, and I’d have GH make another run of Rose Geranium Plug, this time for SP instead of GQ, so it didn’t cost me a fortune.

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
I was involved in the 'resurrection' business being part of the team that re-animated War Horse, Bengal Slices, John Cotton's 1 and 2, John Cotton's Smyrna, Dobie's Four Square as part of the Standard Tobacco Co of PA. It is not worth it. You think that the world will beat a path to your door to congratulate you on your efforts? Wrong! The world will try and burn your frigging house down, scream abuse at you, all the while your manufacturing partners will tell you what they cannot do. You will be surrounded by arm chair experts, the mentally deranged and one or two people that need locking up in the funny farm. If it is not made today there is a good reason for it and probably commercial. Bringing back something from the dead is the most thankless task you could ever engage in and I can fully understand why our good lord only ever resurrected Lazarus!
I really do enjoy Bengal Slices in the morning. For that, I thank you.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would love to see Affordable Pipes blends back- Bluegrass Melody, Morning Watch, Old Fashioned. I had just discovered these when AP closed - had no chance to lay in a supply.

Be nice to see Sail Natural back, as well.

Reactions: Mrs. Pickles

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Orlik Brown Sliced. I love Golden Sliced very much and have always wanted to try some of the Brown Sliced. The hunt continues just so I can know what I'm missing out on. The Sam Gawith Brown Sugar Flake copycat was good, but I'd love to see what the original was like.

Reactions: jaingorenard

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was involved in the 'resurrection' business being part of the team that re-animated War Horse, Bengal Slices, John Cotton's 1 and 2, John Cotton's Smyrna, Dobie's Four Square as part of the Standard Tobacco Co of PA. It is not worth it. You think that the world will beat a path to your door to congratulate you on your efforts? Wrong! The world will try and burn your frigging house down, scream abuse at you, all the while your manufacturing partners will tell you what they cannot do. You will be surrounded by arm chair experts, the mentally deranged and one or two people that need locking up in the funny farm. If it is not made today there is a good reason for it and probably commercial. Bringing back something from the dead is the most thankless task you could ever engage in and I can fully understand why our good lord only ever resurrected Lazarus!
It did seem like a good idea at the time.
Let that be a warning!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Erinmore Plug
Velvan Plug
Anthing from Gallaher
Bengal Slices
3 Nuns
Balkan Sobranie
Escudo

I‘m sure I’ll think of more once I start reading this thread but this is all that’s coming to my tired brain at the moment.

(disclaimer - I know that some of these are on the market now, but I’m talking about their blends made by the original blenders (houses))

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Edgeworth Sliced. I have never tried it and would love to, especially as a predominantly burley enjoyer.

This is assuming it will be just like it was.

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky/Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong. Orlik DSK doesn't exist anymore, and PH DS has been drastically changed. These were some of my all time favorite tobaccos.