PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
It's still comparatively cheap, but going up every month. You can get Capstan for about 10 euros, Condor for less than 6 and Rattray's for 22. I hope that gives you an idea.
Doesn’t sound too bad yet. Thanks.

Do you ever see Scaferlati Caporal or similar? I can’t find it here. I’m hoping to find it or something similar over there

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Huge problem with contraband cigarettes in Oz as the demand is there.
The profits then get recycled into illegal drugs.
No contraband pipe tobacco that I am aware of, as this is pretty much a niche market

It's illegal to grow your own tobacco in Oz. Heavy penalties if caught.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
No contraband pipe tobacco that I am aware of, as this is pretty much a niche market

It's illegal to make liquor in the US but moonshine stills still exist (in numbers that may surprise you). The punishment is some time in a federal prison. Doesn't stop anyone. Tobacco will be the same way if the government decides to ban or restrict here in the US. Although, with marijuana becoming legal in most states, I don't see restrictions on tobacco happening here any time soon.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Does Aus have the same hypocrisy that villainizes tobacco but tolerates or even lauds other substances?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

I'd be surprised if there isn't a steady flow of contraband cigarettes coming into OZ from Indonesia. They grow a lot of tobacco in Indonesia and it's just a stone's throw away from OZ.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
The writing is on the wall. Tobacco's days are numbered. Tobacco production is 1/10th of what it was just 20 years ago. I hardly ever see any cigarette smokers these day. And, when the cigarette companies go down, pipes goes down with it. Because we benefit from the cigarette industry to get our tobaccos. No farmer is going to grow the drop in a bucket amount of tobacco that we require.

My advise, is that instead of stomping feet and talking like spoiled three year olds, buy as much tobacco as you can afford and set it back. Then you too can grin as you watch the tobacco ship sink into the cold cabbage sea.

And, stop acting like you think it won't happen. Open your damn eyes, it is happening.
I hate to agree but it is probably true.

If I was lucky enough to have access to the blends the US has and their prices right now, I would be extremely happy.

As it is with the taxes in Canada, I usually go through my favourite blends too fast to cellar any.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Oh, believe m
I'd be surprised if there isn't a steady flow of contraband cigarettes coming into OZ from Indonesia. They grow a lot of tobacco in Indonesia and it's just a stone's throw away from OZ.
Oh, contraband cigarettes is a real problem here in Oz
Customs and Excise are seizing container loads routinely
Probably just the tip of the iceberg

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Oh, believe m

Oh, contraband cigarettes is a real problem here in Oz
Customs and Excise are seizing container loads routinely
Probably just the tip of the iceberg
It sure will be just the tip of the iceberg. A, they can’t stop and search everything. B, the smugglers have the advantage of being able to take the leading step, the officials are naturally starting behind.
C, Routinely catching full containers…..that tells me that containers do get through to justify the loss of the odd container. If they were catching them all then they would eventually stop sending them and would look at alternate ways.
D, where making money is involved, someone will find a way.

Hello to all you lads by the way!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Obviously, I'm not looking for specific information on actual things happening. I Just don't think I'm smarter than all the illegal entrepeneurs and most likely I'm seeing as a "business" opportunity where there isn't one. But why isn't it?
You're looking at the situation strictly as an "end user", the smoker.

If the risk out weighs the reward there is no upside for the criminal. If the jail time/fine is minimal and the profit significant ... the crooks will enter the market. Of course the market will be flooded with a ton of poor product, at prices for the masses. Then you need to factor in the legal market in other countries. Are there enough customers in other locales to justify reputable manufacturers of tobacco products to stay in production?

Take the days of "Prohibition" in the US. A lot of quality booze was available around the world. So criminals had a quality product to smuggle into the US for discerning customers. Those without the moneys for good liquor were reduced to buying illicitly produced "fire water"/bathtub gin and such.

It simply boils down to; "Is the reward worth the risk?" In New York City many feel the reward is indeed worth the risk. When I had first hand knowledge, NYPD officers I knew, cigarettes purchased on a "reservation" could be sold at a profit in the City, making any risk (low at the time) acceptable to some. Then, somewhat similar to "stepping" on pure heroin to the end user (cutting the product to make more bulk by the "retailer"), individual cigarettes could be sold for a dollar in the street. I have no recent knowledge regarding the economics of the situation today.

So to answer your question succinctly (Way to late for that!) What would you be willing to pay for a tin of an illicit blend? Organized crime and a few other, unmade, individuals would like to know. rotf
:sher:

Reactions: Yambo and OzPiper

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I have to point out that smugglers very much exist but you probably don't know one or hear about them outside of major drug busts. That's by design obviously, they don't typically advertise on the sidebar.

If you're that interested I'm sure you could start hanging around the docks or stevedore bars and find someone willing to smuggle tobacco to you. I doubt it'd be much cheaper than just paying import duties yourself, maybe somewhere like Australia it could be worth it but even then not by a lot.

I also wouldn't be ringing the death knell of all tobacco consumption just yet. History tends to be cyclical and the nicotine genie is out of the bottle. It could very well see a resurgence similar to the beer industry, it arguably already has been.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
People are watching, the walls have ears and some even have eyes in the back of their head. Dunno if its smart to discuss this in a anti tobacco society and government, but never the less I'll play. This year the price of RYO tobacco (shag) will raise to 25 euros a bag of 45 grams, pipetobacco is NOT excluded from that because smoking kills. Next to that the market being pretty much dead in some countries and just have Sail, Borkum Riff or some other goopy aromatic available. Yes people will resort to smuggling, what ever that means when there is free traffic of goods within the EU, just not the ones that our overlords don't like.

Reactions: Yambo

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Doesn’t sound too bad yet. Thanks.

Do you ever see Scaferlati Caporal or similar? I can’t find it here. I’m hoping to find it or something similar over there
It is sold in Spain, but I've only seen one pouch this summer in Barcelona. Of course, I bought it. Our problem, more than prices, is availability. To give you an example: some weeks ago, Pesse Canoe started being sold in Spain. Two days later, there were no tins available in my area. Same happened with Rattray's Vapers a week ago. Peterson, Condor, Capstan, Half & Half are easier to find.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
It is sold in Spain, but I've only seen one pouch this summer in Barcelona. Of course, I bought it. Our problem, more than prices, is availability. To give you an example: some weeks ago, Pesse Canoe started being sold in Spain. Two days later, there were no tins available in my area. Same happened with Rattray's Vapers a week ago. Peterson, Condor, Capstan, Half & Half are easier to find.
That gives me a little hope! I was afraid Scaferlati Caporal might be discontinued everywhere… I’m definitely going to be searching when I go in October. Thanks