PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpersian

Lurker
May 11, 2019
Imperial State of Iran
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help me with finding out what is or what are the pipes in these pictures?

These are very old pictures of "Amir Abbas Hoveyda", he was one of Iran's greatest politicians and one of our last prime ministers before the horrible Islamic revolution. He was a dedicated pipe smoker and I really wish to find out what his pipe or pipes were. I thought maybe by the shape of it, you experienced pipe smokers would be able to tell. :)

Thank you in advance!
hoveyda_pipe.jpg

abbas.jpg

247455_359.jpg

3619d4637ec4496db9d25a5ab58214dc.jpg

I'm sorry I wasn't able to find better pictures... these were the only ones available.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I agree on your thoughts, islamic revolution was a huge step back for Iran but this thread is about Amir's pipe. On the first picture he clenches a liverpool-billiard hybrid, something like BBB produced back then (Medina and Minerva series?) Second one seems to be a simple straight billiard, third one is a partly rusticated lovat - this is my favourite. The last one again looks like a simple straight billiard. I have a feeling that he preferred English producers.

mrpersian

Lurker
May 11, 2019
Imperial State of Iran
Yes, that's true. The worst event that happened in our history... a tragedy.
Thank you very much for your great observation and reply. :)

I'm actually very very new to pipe smoking, and the pipes that I've ordered from the US haven't arrived it. So my knowledge is mostly theoretical, so forgive me if my questions sound very amateur, but the names you mentioned, are they brands or they're pipe types?
Again, thank you very much!

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
BBB in an old English brand (Blumfeld's/Britain's Best Briars), liverpool and billiard are pipe shapes.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/BBB

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Shapes
But I'm not a pipe expert, I'm just enjoying these smoking instruments. :lol:
Congrats for your first pipes, I hope you will like this hobby. Oh, and greetings from Iceland!

mrpersian

Lurker
May 11, 2019
Imperial State of Iran
Thank you very much! I'll check those links, and hopefully they still make those pipes and brands so I can one day smoke what our prime minister did. :)
And thanks for the warm welcome. It's great to be a part of this great community.

This will actually be the start of an interesting adventure for me, my younger brother, my dad and a good friend of ours. And we will start with 3 different Missouri Meerschaums, and I'm already very excited about them.
Nice meeting you all, and greetings from Iran.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
They still make pipes under the name BBB, but I think they are from France or Italy nowadays (Arsenal and Chelsea series). British pipes makers nowadays with acceptable prices:

- Invicta briars

- Northern briars

- Blakemar briars

- Barber B line
Expensive one is Dunhill.

But you can always try estate/used vintage pipes. This is how I bought my BBB from the 1950's.

mrpersian

Lurker
May 11, 2019
Imperial State of Iran
I see, that's very good to know. Unfortunately it's quite difficult for me to buy anything from Europe and most countries. I use a freight forwarder company which brings stuff from the US to the country of Georgia where I've been living for several years now. So I can only buy pipes and tobaccos from online US stores.

But thank you very much, I will look them up, wish list them and buy them when I have gained some experience in pipe smoking.

I want to learn all there is on my corncobs first before moving on to briars. :)
Thankfully Youtube has been a great resource as well... Especially Muttnchop Piper which is my favorite channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.