PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I know there are some pipesmokers who would never consider buying a pipe from a relatively new carver until they have established a "reputation" as a pipemaker, but I like to look at pipes by new carvers and, if I like what I see, I even buy them on occasion, if I feel they are appropriately priced.
For instance, I recently picked up a pipe by Mark Price that is just a fantastic piece of briar, with very fine stem work, and I could not be happier. For the price (at the lower end of the artisan pipemaking spectrum), I felt it was a fantastic deal. I also took a similar chance with both Clark Layton and Abe Herbaugh a year or so ago and am very glad that I did. In the past, I did the same with Christ Asteriou and could not be more pleased with that decision.
Lately, I have been admiring the work of Micah Cryder and C. Kent Joyce, but I have yet to buy a pipe from either. I do look at their work from time to time, and both seem to have an eye for detail and their stem work looks marvelous, at least in photographs. I do plan to buy a pipe from both of these fellows very soon.
And now I come to the topic of discussion: What relatively new pipemakers are you watching closely and why? If you haven't bought one of their pipes yet, what is holding you back? Is there some sort of litmus test that you apply before you will take the plunge and buy a pipe made by a new carver?

May 31, 2012
Excellent thread topic Peck.

:clap:
For me, it's mostly based on the vibe I get, I usually have pretty good gut feelings about what I'll like.
But I also go pretty in-depth with research and looking over the portfolio or what have you.
In some cases, all the questions have been answered. Like when I was in American-maker billiard buying mode I came across a pipe made by McGimpsey - looking at his portfolio gave me a good clue, especially the detail shots of his stemwork:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcgimpseypipes/

But learning that he was one of the winners in the 2013 KC carving contest I was totally reassured that he did quality work because the judging can be intensive and brutal and they don't give blue ribbons out easily.
In the case of marTelo, I had looked at his facebook page and liked what I saw, the fact that SmokingPipes carried his work gave me an easy greenlight because they are rigorous regarding the quality of pipes they sell, this is the one I bought:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Martelo/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=169061
More recently, I have fallen for the work of Carsten Ringling - looking at his portfolio won me over, and in addition I was enthused by the fact that he's heavily influenced by the Nuovo Roma school and even actually had a picture from one of his visits to Rome of him standing there with Gian Maria Gamboni who is currently my absolute favorite pipemaker.
https://www.facebook.com/RinglingPfeifen/
I've made contact with him but I'm in no financial position at this time to do a commission, it'll be down the road in a little while after my cash index spikes back up into the goody zone. I simply must have one (if not several more) of his squat Rhodesians because that's a much-loved shape of mine and not too many makers do them up according to my idealized preferences. I almost got lucky and took the lazy way out by bidding on one of his pipes via ebay, but sadly, my cheap-ass lost dammit, I should have bumped up my bid just a bit more!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carsten-Ringling-bulldog-pfeife-pipe-nofi-/141978368172?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&nma=true&si=xIsUHo6MeM8ug05hc2l6jG%252BjqFE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I'm looking forward to watching this thread develop and see who all gets mentioned,

and maybe get some good pointers on a few up-and-comers who're worthy of attention.
Good stuff.

:puffy:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
What relatively new pipemakers are you watching closely and why? If you haven't bought one of their pipes yet, what is holding you back? Is there some sort of litmus test that you apply before you will take the plunge and buy a pipe made by a new carver?
Micah Cryder

Evan Wiseman

Cody Perkins

Joe Hinkle

Jeremiah Sandahl
I think these guys are all turning out interesting work, and that they have all been pushing themselves to refine their skills over the last few years. I bought one of Jeremiah's early pipes, and have really enjoyed watching him find his rhythm and begin to define his pipes' character.
The only thing keeping me from adding pipes from these guys to my rotation is available funds.
My litmus test? I wait for Harris to log in and say that he likes the look of the pipe, but for the same price can buy an estate Rad Davis pipe... this usually drives the screaming masses to the estate market and keeps the prices on pipes from newer guys at affordable levels. Go Harris!
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
Ah!
I forgot about Evan Wiseman.
thanks Pat,

for the reminder!
For me, it was totally his instagram page that won me over, his personality comes through and I think he's a really cool cat, very soulful too, and he has an uncanny knack for putting out some stupendous sandblasts.
It was a no-brainer on my part, and when I approached him with a rather difficult request,

he happily accepted and delivered the goods with aplomb!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/evan-wiseman-and-the-epic-allbriar-pipe
That thread has some specific details as to why I had confidence in his work.

May 31, 2012
My litmus test? I wait for Harris to log in and say that he likes the look of the pipe, but for the same price can buy an estate Rad Davis pipe... this usually drives the screaming masses to the estate market and keeps the prices on pipes from newer guys at affordable levels. Go Harris!
haha
:worship:

All Hail Cigrmaster!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Speaking of which, where the hell is the old grump?!? I miss his posting.
And this is a great topic. I am too new to pipes (a couple of years after a long layoff from college days) to have much input. My only commission so far is Ryan Alden, but I consider him established. And I got a Bing from Basil Meadows, but also well established. I've attended only two pipe shows, and have tended towards estates, but am slowly shifting focus to up and comers.
So I will be watching and learning. I posted elsewhere that seeking out and patronizing young talent is a bit like buying a ___________ (name of whatever artist doesn't piss you off and whose work is now worth millions)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Speaking of which, where the hell is the old grump?!? I miss his posting.
He started this thread... Oh wait. You meant Harris. He's probably chasing young nubiles on the beach somewhere.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm just a homebody in artisanal pipe buying, so my two picks are N.C. carvers, and neither is a young upstart. I like Jerry Perry, buying my first pipe in 2002. His work is up-country -- some Mountain Laurel, briar, and my most recent purchase cocobolo. Probably part of his appeal, too, is that he doesn't sell online, nor much of anywhere else unless you go to him at the TAPS pipe show or state fair. I recently bought my first Bob Hayes pipe largely because of his generosity on price; he's an award winning N.C. pipe carver. Not much heralded as an artiste, but still a fine craftsman, I like Mogen Johansen's Johs pipes a lot. A few years ago, he had a supply of unusually light weight briar, and his pipes have always been notably reasonable. I know these aren't the guys under discussion, per se, but worth mentioning.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Unfortunately, my funds are such that I'll no longer be exploring new pipe makers. I've found what I like, Dunhill and Michael Parks, and that's where I'll stay. Were I a wealthy man, I'd buy from others. C'est la vive.

Jan 8, 2013
Jose Rubio is one I've been watching. His dragon scales blasts are very cool. Jonathan Lavezzo of Moonshine Pipes is another I've been watching. He's been turning out some beautiful pipes. I'm waiting for my chance to snag one. William Crawford (William Anderson Pipes) is another. I have two of his, one was my first commissioned, and they're beautiful and smoke wonderfully. I'm planning another commission by him in hopefully the near future.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have a Carmette volcano that's a damn fine flake smoker. Have had my eye on a Growley Ramses. Very cool.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Would love to have a Clark Layton someday... and State College PEEAY is only maybe an hour and a half from where I live. I like supporting the home-state guys!(And StdToPA as well!!!)

May 31, 2012
Briarlab has a good stable.
I am tempted by this pipe:

https://www.briarlab.com/collections/jason-thompson/products/jason-thompson-sandblasted-belge-staghorn-sumac-shank-extension
:
And this pipe too:

https://www.briarlab.com/collections/max-capps/products/max-capps-tilted-bulldog-apple-contrast-inlay-sandblast
:
This one even has a briar stem - I'm glad to see more pipemakers doing this:

https://www.briarlab.com/collections/mark-stout/products/mark-stout-billiard-smooth-briar-stem

Status
Not open for further replies.