What Movie Remake Would You Like To See?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Remakes are only warranted when the original had potential to be great, but was hindered by poor directing, a low budget or technology capabilities. So, 1984 was pretty bad, but it could've been awesome. So a remake would be a good idea.
However, there's going to be a remake of Suspiria, which sounds like a terrible idea since the original was perfectly done.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Three Days of the Condor -- Redford at his beta best.
One of my favorites...but I don't think I'd want to see it remade. A similar movie from the '70s though that I do think could be updated and improved upon, if done properly, is The Parallax View. Just as the updated/remade version of The Manchurian Candidate was well done imo.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
TCM has "Seven Samuri" running right now, on in the background as I type. I cannot conceive how it could be remade. Today's crowd would insist on color and no subtitles. Both would detract from the visceral images.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
TCM has "Seven Samuri" running right now, on in the background as I type. I cannot conceive how it could be remade. Today's crowd would insist on color and no subtitles. Both would detract from the visceral images.
Warren, it was remade. The Magnificent Seven. And The Magnificent Seven has been remade this year. And, the Kurosawa family allowed an anime remake of Seven Samurai. Gotta milk that cow.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have made a horrible mistake! I should never have said I would like to see Pink Flamingos remade. I guess I was just thinking of what films I liked.
No John Water films should ever be remade, and Hairspray is proof of that! The remake, which was wildly more successful than the 1988 original, was a slick Hollywood version of what was a great film. The original was well cast, and had lots of charm and kitsch. In my opinion nobody can do poor taste with an underlying moral commentary better than Waters.
I agree with some of the other posters here, why remake a good movie? Take a film that had possibilities, but was poorly done in one way or another, and remake that. There's so many to choose from....

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
It's not a movie, but I would love to see the sci-fi series "Babylon 5" remade. I was a big fan of it back in the 90's. I would love to see it updated. Give it the netflix treatment. Instead of having 24 episodes with half of them being filler, do 12-14 episodes all of them about the main arc. It had a pretty low budget and they did some good stuff. Throw some money at it and see what happens.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I can't see "How Green was My Valley" being remade and improving on the gritty original.
Hmmm, perhaps but as a Welshman I can see plenty room for improvement when it comes to that film Warren. We don't sound like the Irish in these parts for a start :wink:
I am one of those who harbours a cynical view of remakes. Seeing the amount of them that have emerged in recent years and the standard of them I am not inclined to change my opinion any time soon. I just outright boycott them now.
I am trying to play the game but really can't think of anything I liked that I think would be made better by another go at it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
But, the movie wasn't made for the Welsh. Nor was it intended to portray such. It was made for a much wider audience. It was simply a good story that was made into a great movie about the trials and tribulations of a family. Sometimes one just has to suspend belief and enjoy the story, the portrayals. It's no worse than watching a movie set in the in the midst of the American Revolution and no one has a hint of an English accent, much less speaks in the dialects of the time. Of course, if they did the movie would mostly be unintelligible. Imagine "How Green was My Valley" with all the lines spoken in the Welsh tongue. Or, even English with Welsh accents. How many English speaking people would have understood half of the the spoken lines?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I understand your point Warren and of course it was made for a wider audience but to say it was not meant to portray the Welsh is a stretch. It is a story about a Welsh family and the mining community they lived in. Most of us in the South Wales valleys don't speak Welsh and most didn't when the book and film were made/published so it would not have needed to be in Welsh. If it had most of us would not have understood it either :lol: We do have Welsh accents though :) Most Welsh speaking is done in the West and North. Welsh is on every sign though and announcements and the like are made in Welsh before English.
Anyway, it really does not matter. All I meant by saying what I did was that as a native I could see an amusing irony in what you said about no reason to remake it. Bad accents are still abound in films today. I'm sure we could all name a few. I can't put on accents to save my life and am always impressed by people who can.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Wish I would have gotten in on this earlier.. But for me it would be JAWS...WAIT.....Remake JAWS, but do it very different than other remakes. Only change the shark parts and leave the rest of the movie the same, kinda like a George Lucas Tweeking of Star Wars. I like remakes when they are done well, and not changing things just for the sake of changing to be PC..

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The Bicycle Thief. Hollywood needs a reset imo. I hate to sound like a prune but I don't seem to care much for recent movies. The last thing I can remember seeing that really grabbed me was American Psycho, but that was largely because I was at sundance and a lady reporter puked during the screening.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
A new Columbo series
Without Peter Falk... NEVER!
I am thinking the Exorcist and maybe Labyrinth.
Why on earth would you want to see a remake of the Exorcist? The original still holds up just as well today as it did in 1973. A remake would end up being nothing more than a movie dependent upon over the top and over used CGI like most movies today. As for any remakes I'd rather see originality rather than some hack director ruin a movie that should be left as it is.
Birth Of A Nation
Yeah, that would good over real good today! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.