What makes one pipe better than another?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Was it because you didn't get a definitive answer to this?
Initially I was seeking a definitive answer, but in hindsight, I realize there is not a definitive answer. The question, responses and continued reading on this forum have brought the realization that I am smoking my pipes correctly and the rest is just noise.
Totally agree that too much of an academic approach can be counter-productive. If one were to read everything written and seen everything video'd on just packing the damn thing, he'd be weeks before he got a light to it!
+1

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
As we can see, or read, there are many variables and opinions about the question "What makes an expensive pipe better than any other briar pipe" the one thing that is missing is the piper himself, or her, we all have different smoking forms that vary from one to the other and that also play a role.
In the end I think we can all agree, or not, that a Dr. Grabow may be a better smoker than a Dunhill for one person and quite the opposite for the next. The variety of pipes and smokers is to great to tell

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
Because smoking can be as simple or complex as one wants to make it, I've enjoyed the acidemia as well as the straight talk.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Hey guys. Sorry for the infusion. But ya'll have not smoked a pipe until you've smoked a Carmette pipe! LOL.
Bruce Weaver told me that about his own pipes in Chicago the first time I met him in 2012 and I Laugh about it every time I think about it. Just like the world needs another pipe maker like Chicago needs a pizza joint!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The smoker of the pipe has a lot more to do with quality of the smoke than the pipe itself . Unconsciously a seasoned smoker will change his style and cadence with each pipe and each type of blend until it feels right to them . Not a believer eh . Get two exact pipes and both will smoke with different qualities , So buy what you like and smoke whatever floats your boat .Really it is all in the luck of the draw .

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bruce Weaver told me that about his own pipes in Chicago the first time I met him in 2012 and I Laugh about it every time I think about it.
Yep, that's Bruce!
:rofl:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Fair warning, I haven't read the rest of the thread yet.
You can grab a generic hammer from the hardware shop for 10 bux, or you go online and order a hand forged, hand made hammer patterned after a wood block pressing in an 18th century manual. The nail won't have a clue which one cost you a kidney, though your hand and eye will certainly know. Pipes are the same.
What I've learned in the time I've been doing this is that the more experienced I become the better all my pipes smoke. I have preferences, of course, but I do not see any of my pipes smoking better than any others, rather, each has a set of "best practices"that I either master or I don't.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I just traded in about a dozen pipes. My cost outlay on the lot was probably about $3,000.00 new over the years. I got a decent credit from a retailer and my selection of replacement pipes was 2 Castellos. Very literally, I had a moment smoking one of these pipes (that I paid over 400 dollars for, so this isn't a "expensive = better") and I realized that I hated the pipe. It gurgled no matter what, spat hot horrible juice out the stem. And this is after drying some tobacco and carefully packing and smoking for about a 1/2 hour. (I took the same tobacco, undried, rammed it into a reliable Radice and had a perfect smoke, no fuss, no gurgle, no juice). So ... that first pipe isn't working for me. Could someone else love it? Maybe. I don't care. Whether this is objective or not, that pipe smoked like a dog turd for me. I have 3 Castellos, they all smoke perfect, every time. So... I bought more.
How could a Castello smoke better than some other pipe? Well, open the suckers up. What you find is that Castellos have very smooth airways, pretty much constant volume, no huge gaps inside, they pass a pipe cleaner (which merely means that things are lined up reasonably well). There is very little turbulence inside the pipe as you smoke, meaning very little condensation. The stems are acrylic so they never taste "off" (and some of us can turn a vulcanite stem brown in 2 minutes and get a sulphur taste out of them).
So there it is. I'll pay 300 bucks for a pipe that is built in a way that I agree with, that smokes nicely and behaves well with every tobacco I use. It's not magic briar, it's not some stupid gimmicky apparatus, it's just a carefully built pipe, and it out-performs less carefully built pipes. Nothing to do with the stamping or provenance. Just physics.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
uneek, there's a school of thought that believes you can't get a "real" pipe for less than $300, or some other arbitrary but pretty high price. As noted in the post that recounted a bad experience with an expensive pipe, a high price is no guarantee. You can get a good pipe for $40, although your required re-drilling to open the draw. Dr. Grabow Royaltons are respectable pipes that will do the job. For small pipes (which have good uses, with flake for example) you can get well-crafted EWA pipes from Iwan Ries for about $37. Expensive pipes do offer special features of fine materials, artistry, and often durability, not to mention pride of ownership, but you don't have to miss out on good smoking because you are on a budget. There are many good quality more economical pipes, such as lower priced Nordings, Stanwells (see pipesandcigars) and Rossi Vittoria pipes. Pipes can last a lifetime, so don't reject saving up and buying really good ones, and save money buying them as estates, but don't shun pipes bought on a budget.

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
This has been an invaluable wealth of information and ideology. It has provided a deeper insight to my hobby and the club I've joined. In many ways, the best pipe could be defined as the nicest one you can afford -- for the personal luxury and satisfaction it can bring. As long as the pipe doesn't gurgle or have some other anomaly, the cost is irrelevant. What makes a good pipe is the enjoyment of the smoker.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Ive smoked a few pipes and have yet to understand what a "good smoker" is. They all smoke like a bowl with a hole and a mouthpiece. I've never smoked a "bad" pipe. All this talk still confuses the hell out of me.
@uneek
Take most things you read here with a grain of salt, and in some cases two!
My 2 cents - grain of salt recommendation applies
Kinda like women, the best pipes are the ones you tend to pick out of the crowd because they just look right, feel right, and smoke like a dream. All 100% subjective!
By the way, bad pipes do exist, and there are an endless array of threads on the matter right here on this forum.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Uneek, MSO489 makes a very valid suggestion regards buying an estate pipe (or three). They fall into two categories, refurbished and ready to smoke or those requiring work before they can be enjoyed.
I have bought many estates requiring work and after working on them have some quality pipes that are very well made and are excellent smokers but have cost me 'pennies' compared to buying new.
Something to consider perhaps?
Regards,
Jay.

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
Thanks, Jay. Interesting you mention estate pipes. I was just thinking about where to find some in my city besides garage and estate sales. I wouldn't mind learning how to properly refurbish one. A little elbow grease can bring good things.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Uneek, there are several threads on here devoted to refurbishing/restoring pipes with a mass of useful tips so seek them out if you fancy giving it a go.
Not only do you end up with a good smoking pipe, you save money and also get the satisfaction of knowing you did the work yourself so triple the pleasure!
Either minimal work to simply make it smokeable or full on for that stunning look too, the options are endless.
As a source Ebay is the obvious choice but do tread carefully.
Good luck.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.