PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I had an Old Boy until I dropped it 5 stories. I'll get another one at some point. In the mean time, I use a Jifeng, which is an Old Boy knock off.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I have a decent collection of zippos and a butane refillable. Recently, I have decided that disposible clear plastic cheapy lighters are the most reliable and last the longest so that's what I'm mainly using. Plus they're cheap and can get anywhere.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Indoors with my best pipes I use a Dunhill Rollagas that has been modified for the pipe so the flame points downwards. It has a gentle flame which is kind to the bowl rim if I've had one too many tinctures and my aim is poor! The Dunhill is not much use in the slightest breeze, so outside I use a Clipper or, if it is very windy, a contraption which resembles a welding torch!!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I feel naked without one of my treasured Zippos. A great American institution as well, and they will repair it for you for free.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Zippo with a pipe insert. I really like that little lighter. It's windy in Michigan, so I can't usually use the matches I prefer even if I am carrying them, which I'm often not. Works every time with regular maintenance, and thanks to it's accessible (every part can be easily and safely exposed, and most removed) design almost anything that could go wrong is user-repairable. If not, Zippo will fix it for free.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I generally use matches, but on a windy day I will use an old Nimrod Sportsman.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I was using a vector pipe lighter

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2267_14449497

Which was nice is that the top shot out a torch and then the side the slow flame. Problem is the switch on the side breaks, I've had it repaired 2 times and i've given up on it.
I now have the Xicar Resource, not too bad yet.

LG-XIK-585BK-400.jpg

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Since I live just outside of Houston where it is very humid I use a Zippo pipe lighter. I have to smoke outside under the patio ceiling fan and I find that a Zippo will withstand the fan's breeze while a butane lighter will not.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I generally use my Old Boy but for a rather inexpensive lighter, I recommend Lotus brand. They make who's name escapes me is $20.00 at my local shop. The model 11 or is it 111 is very nice at 1/2 of an Old Boy. I keep an old imco in my car. I always have stick matches and, I do have a Zippo. I find the first light challenging with a Zippo.
MIke S.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Bics.
I bought an Old Boy earlier this year on eBay and promptly lost it, and didn't use it much when I had it as the flame would blow out so easily. Once I end up finding it again I will likely sell it.

Dec 24, 2012
This reminds me - do any of you guys use one of those thunderbird butane inserts for your zippo lighter shells? I bought one many months ago to use when I travel - it has worked ok but then a month or so ago I discovered that I needed to replace the flint. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do that. The hole where the flint goes is directly under the little wheel and I can't figure out how to get the flint under the wheel and into the hole.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I don't use lighters so maybe this is not what your looking for but here is you tube clip for changing the flint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-3rh6iYb-I

Dec 24, 2012
LOL, yeah, that's the answer. I was trying to figure out how to get it in the hole under the wheel - didn't realize it goes in the bottom. Any videos on how to change a lightbulb?

Aug 14, 2012
To change a lightbulb you get two guys. One gets up on a chair, the other rotates the chair. I use a Bic lighter, or wooden matches. Have two Zippos, rarely use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.