What Kind of Wood is Dr. Grabow Made Of??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I own 4 Dr. Grabows, a royalton, duke, freehand, and a golden duke. They all smoke well, and IMO are the best value in that price range. I'd rather smoke high end tobacco in a cheaper pipe, than visa versa.

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
dr-grabow-savoy-pipe-4.jpg

@ hodirty
> I own 4 Dr. Grabows, a royalton, duke, freehand, and a golden duke. They all smoke well, and IMO are the best value in that price range. I'd rather smoke high end tobacco in a cheaper pipe, than visa versa.
-- That is how I feel about Dr. Grabow pipes also. I too have a small collection of his pipes. And I have some Briar pipes. That I paid a lot more for. And they don't SMOKE any better then my Dr. Grabows.

> ( I like how you put it ) - that you would rather smoke high quality tobacco in and inexpensive pipe; then a cheap tobacco in an expensive pipe.

-- Like I've heard say: - "spend your money on tobacco, not pipes. " ---- taztime :puffy:

linkdead

Lurker
Jul 5, 2013
I've been eyeing a Mr. Brog churchwarden for a few weeks that sells for under $40 but couldn't find anything on pearwood as a pipe choice. It's good to hear that pear makes a good sub for briar. Now I'm getting one! When I first started smoking pipes a few weeks ago I ordered one for about $10 that looked like a nice pipe but when it arrived it had a steel bowl! I'm guessing it's plastic with a metal inner lining (that smells like oil). I'm not even sure I want it as an emergency pipe, but am I wrong? Do metal bowled pipes smoke well after you burn the oil out of them?

linkdead

Lurker
Jul 5, 2013
I've been trying to find a list of all of the various pipe materials with some order to pros/cons and with the exception of Briar, Meercham, clay and a few others I've come up empty. I've seen Applewood, Pear (Mr. Brog), Ebony, plastic, metal, glass, just about all the hardwoods, corncob, and found tips on how to tell good pipes from junk, but do these other materials offer anything at all except for lower cost? I'd love to see an excel spreadsheet that judges each material on the things a good pipe needs; pourousness, moisture, durability, age, grain, craftmanship and such.

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
I started with a Golden Duke and it is a champ. Second largest bowl I own. I am actually starting to collect Grabows because they are affordable (cheap on EBay) and available. Yes, I am getting other pipes too, but for now Grabows are what I am collecting cause its what I can afford. I've got a buckaroo, duke, grand duke, silver duke, gold duke, omega, Riviera, regal, crown duke, starfire, westbrook, sculptura. All are estates in various conditions. Some I am stripping down and will restain and some are in good shape. Stems can be dicey, some are rough and chipped others are fine. But so far they are all good smokers, the ones I have smoked at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.