PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Recently I purchased a Gabe 2nd series poker that smokes Virginia's amazingly and I will dedicate this pipe to that tobacco only .

But my question to you all what pipe in your collection gives you the best smoking experience for English tobacco?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It depends on the number of tobaccos. A simple English blend of three tobaccos -- for example Virginia, Lat, and Turkish -- goes well in any Group 4 (medium sized) billiard, bulldog, Dublin, etc. For blends with four or more tobaccos (number arbitrary but maybe useful), I like a wider bowl as is often typical of a pot, prince, author, diplomat, etc. I somewhat accept the theory that a wider bowl gets more different leaf going at once and gives a better range to the blend. Of course, this is all subject to trial and error, and sometimes a pipe that shouldn't work is ideal. For burley single leaf and burley blends, I often like a standard width chamber this is deep, like a Hungarian, a cob freehand or General, anything with depth.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't smoke English very often but when I do I use what ever pipe I grabbed off the rack that morning.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
If one defines an "English" as a Latakia containing blend, I always go with one of my large (group 5 or larger) billiards- Parkers, Comoy's (thanks to bilkay for both of those), Lorenzos, Custombilts, La Stradas, BBBs. Second choice is a large pot.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I need to get myself a nice size Pot or Prince. I use a savinelli Tortuga 320 I like to use for Lat's and I have an old DR G. pot shape that was my pap's I wish I could use but it gets so hot no matter how slow I smoke it..

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Going with English = Lat-heavy, I prefer my Savinelli 673KS. Runner up is a Leonessa bulldog with an unnaturally large bowl and short stem.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The only latakia blend that I smoke is Balkan Sobranie. I smoke a bowl of it every now and then, and when I do it's in a Kyriazanos Bulldog. I enjoy a couple other latakia blends occasionally, and when I do I smoke them in a cob. I plan to buy a new briar pipe for latakia blends this winter if my smoking picks up?

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
For me, English blends leave a ghost, you're mileage may vary, but I have specific pipes dedicated to that blend.

Mar 1, 2014
All of them.
Yup. I don't think I've found a bowl that doesn't agree with English blends.

Then again the only specific combination I have found to avoid is flakes in wide bowls (because they burn too slowly), but that's more about the cut than the blend.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I use a variety of shapes. I like group 4 or group 5. So much depends on the tobacco I'm smoking. MM Baby's Bottom and Old Dublin I like best in a group 4 with a rectangular chamber. The SG flakes I like in a Cayuga pot. Experiment. :puffy:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I never pay any attention to which pipe I choose for which blend. I only smoke blends I like, so I don't mind the ghost of one haunting the smoke of another. I do have a few basket pipes I use if on a rare occasion I decide to try something entirely new and untested.

Status
Not open for further replies.