PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
Originally I had something called a "Spitfire II", a full-bent type of thing, which was a pretty bad pipe. Plus, I didn't know what I was doing, which didn't help, either. That pipe got thrown out eventually. =D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that, would you? Is there a plant growing out of it?
Yep. Hasn't rooted enough to wire yet, still has juvenile foliage, but the branch placement is perfect.
20180317_122707-494x600.jpg

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
"Yep. Hasn't rooted enough to wire yet, still has juvenile foliage, but the branch placement is perfect."
I really rather like this idea.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just remembered a worse pipe than my George Jensen. It was a bent Peterson with a P-lip. I tried smoking it once and it was awful. I hated the smoke going to the roof of my mouth, and the pipe gurgled from the get go. I gave the pipe away to a friend who is not a pipe smoker. I told him it was a shit pipe but he wanted it anyway just to mess around with.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
P and C is entirely wrong then. lol. The Ozark series of made of Birch. The cherry and maple designation refers to the finish put on the wood, not the wood the pipe is actually made from.
Birch it is, and the advertisement is a bit misleading about that pretty much everywhere. I recommend you do not smoke Virginia, in a hurry because it is cold, on a very windy day in one. :) The bowl came off in my hand.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Not doing for the intent of bumping, just was noodling around & caught Mike's thread.
Memory must be kind, or else it's just been so long I don't remember how *really* bad it was. It'd have to have been my first, that damnable old varnished Medico Dublin from back in the 60s. OK, yeah, I was still learning cadence & proper technique, true, but that POJ would have *had* to have been the worst, since it was so cheap, so cheaply *made*, drew poorly, burned like a furnace (again, operator malfunction surely played a part) & was frankly probably THE worst possible pipe choice I could ever have made to try to start smoking with. Kudos to Jack Kirk of Smoker's World in Tallahassee (now both sadly defunct :() for getting me off the right track & *onto* the right one.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I've returned both of the Rossi pipes I've bought. One was drilled by a drunk Italian right as a goal was scored during a World Cup match. Not only was it way off center, the draft hole entered the bowl at a sideways angle.
The second looked fine until I smoked it, at which point it popped two fills and the finish started to bubble. It didn't smoke half bad, though. If they'd rusticated it, it probably would have been fine.
I don't plan on buying any more Rossis.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
An estate Peterson Kildare 106. Damn thing always gurgled and always left sizeable dottle. Being of Irish ancestry I tried to like it and it looked nice enough. Utter crap to smoke though. That one got tossed in the sea from a boat. I hope it sank to the bottom and will never be seen by man again. Perhaps it's made a better home for a hermit crab than it did a smoker.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>" drilled by a drunk Italian right as a goal was scored during a World Cup match" -- Props to you, spartan, for the best description of junk I've seen in a while. :)

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
@fishnbanjo: The brother of "The Pipe" is "The Smoke" made out of some spaceage carbon plastic....crap stem and crap pipe!

(In Robins egg blue).

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
The closest I have to a stinker is a Peterson B42 System pipe. It smokes fine, other than, it likes to gurgle. I think it's the angle of the stem in the mortis. Moisture collects on the end of the stem, like a System pipe should, but since the stem angle is so shallow (compared to other bent system pipes), the moisture sits there, rather than dropping in the moisture well. All I need to do is tap the pipe gently on my hand and it knocks the droplet off and stops the gurgle, but it would be nice if it didn't do that. Other than that the pipe smokes nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fishnbanjo, yep, The Pipe strangely stays in production and apparently sells. It's right up there with Brylon, another natural mystery as to who buys them and why. Lots of these pipes must be sold, but why?

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
an old GBD that always plugs up. moisture bundles up at the bottom and causes that bubbling draw. dunno what's wrong with it. Maybe needs to be rebored

Status
Not open for further replies.