What Is The Typical Age Of Tobacco In Any Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Reading many reviews lately I keep coming across such statements as "using the finest aged Virginia tobaccos available" and suchlike. This has me wondering how aged is aged when used in this context.
Some, in fact very few blenders actually give a date as to when the leaf was cropped which is useful but most do not. If a blend is made and marketed within a year of cropping the leaf is this noticeable to the smoker? My uneducated guess would be yes but I'm here to be educated.
I see for example that McClelland's Christmas Cheer 2016 is actually made from a cropping from 2010, and their Christmas Cheer 2017 is made from a cropping of 2013, is this typical in the world of tobacco blending I wonder?
I assume these leaves that have been cut for blending in the future just sit around in bales all stacked up in some out of the way barn somewhere, slowly maturing (?) until they are called for. Would that be correct?
Also, I wonder if all tobacco types are treated equally in this regard, some faring better than others.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
While we're at it, are we talking about the same thing when we read the words "matured Virginia"?

I think I read somewhere that all Virginia is matured Virginia.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just happened to be listening to an older episode of the Pipes Magazine Radio Podcast, #202. At the 34:00 time mark, guest Mike McNiel, of MeClelland Tobacco, mentions that the Virginias for their Christmas Cheer have aged in a warehouse for at least 3 years; and subsequent processing appears to require even more time before it is brought to market.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Hard to say. Typically once a Virginia is flue cured it is stored for 1 to 2 years before being used in the production of cigarettes/pipe tobacco. This time could vary though based on the market. It might be 1 year if there is a tobacco shortage or high demand. It might be 3-4 years if there is a tobacco glut.
For Burley, it is also roughly 2 years. Once it is harvested it is allowed to sweat the following year. It is then usually stored for an additional year.
Perique is fermented for up to a year ( although it is actually ready after about 3 months), at which time it is ready to smoke. No further storage required.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It would also depend on the manufacturer's buying strategy. If they get a good deal on a large quantity of leaf, then they may have it on the shelf for years to come. How long did McClelland have that Syrian Latakia (or is that Latakia, Syria)?

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Unless it really specifies (like christmas cheer) most of this just sounds like flowery marketing language.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Don't think it was in some remote way, Cortez. Ehwa, Jr. now deceased, was the founder of McClelland's Tobacco Company. Mike McNiel's wife, Mary, is the late Mr. Ehwa's daughter.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I happened upon this description today which confuses me further...
"of Black Stoved Virginias in this doubly aged red and black all-Virginia cake mixture."
...how on earth does one doubly age tobacco, or anything for that matter :crazy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That'd be my guess, too. Then again, when marketing gets involved, it could mean almost anything. Smoother than smooth! Brand new! (not so much for piping) All new! This changes everything!! Lighter than other leading brands! Most flavorful of all... Improved....

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hawky, it was part of the description of McClelland's Blackwoods Flake.
Isaac, I think you might be right there, ageing two types of leaf then somehow calling the result 'doubly aged'. Bit of a con really.
All in all I think John and another contributor pretty much has it as merely advertising blurb with no real meaning.
I still would like to know what the average age leaves are afore being processed into blends proper and if this has a noticeable effect on the end product.
Regards,
Jay.

I have noticed something along these lines. Virginias have to have the ammonia pushed off of them, or they get a harsh, grassyness. There are good grassy and bad grassy, imagine freshly mowed lawn clippings for the bad. Most of the Virginias are aged for a few years, being turned with shovels every so often. But, some blends, to me, taste like the manufacturer rushed the process, and used a sweet casing that tried to hide the ammonia. MacBarons Virginia #1 comes to mind, and a few others. I popped a tin of Royal Jersey Green the other day which seemed to have a tin note of ammonia before it aired out and started actually smelling good. It still had a dried grass clipping taste occasionally. It must have just been a bad batch, as I usually love this blend.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Michael, interesting that you mention Mac Baren's Virginia #1 as I have a pouch I bought sometime last year. Though the pouch note was ok I found that smoking it made me think of paint!
I have just pulled out the pouch and loaded up a bowl for later to see if it has improved over time.
Whether what I describe as being paint could be any ammonia in the leaf I can't be sure but I have read other posts by yourself where you mention ammonia and the desire to be rid of it so as the leaf can be processed further.
I do like the grassy taste in straight Virginia blends, Golden Glow (Sam Gawith) is well known for it but in my limited experience Golden Glow is a 'young' tobacco. Don't get me wrong, it smokes just fine fresh (once dried...it is positively dripping!) but I would wager it would be up there with FVF once it has some age to it.
Regards,
Jay.

mrbaho

Lurker
Sep 11, 2015
Mary McNiel was the wife of Carl Ehwa Jr who founded McClelland's. Mary married Mike after Carl passed away.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
pretty much has it as merely advertising blurb with no real meaning.
Remember that when you see a label with something along the line of "we use only the finest Virginia"

Most advertising are just fancy words to convince you "their" product is superior to the competitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.