PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
This, Because of the shrinkage of the Tobacco Market ,Malawi ,a Country in Africa whose main export and half of its industry is Burley with a very distinctive taste is wanting to start moving crops over to other things.

It will be horrible for me as I love that distinctive flavor and seek it out in its various forms from GH&Co to Solani ( latter of which I don’t even know if the new tins have Malawi).

I feel as certain crop’s especially small foreign crops dry up we will see a lot of blends die out or become shadows of their former selves
D’oblone D’Oro (or whatever) by Savinelli has dark fired Kenyan. Perhaps that might be an acceptable blend to stock up on? Kenya is 2 countries north of Malawi, with Tanzania dividing them.

Also the bulk blend Sutliff Africa Queen features “Mozambique” but I cannot find any detail on what Mozambique is. But geographically it is next to Malawi. Beware though this one has some mild aromatics added if that’s not for you.

Other than that Gawith seems to be the main blender using this as you’ve stated.
My January 2022 of solani silver only states DFKY with no country called out. It smells great and is a nice smoke but it’s the only tin I’ve ever had so I have no basis by which to compare.

Reactions: vosBghos

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Some of us older guys miss some of the "original" Dunhill blends. Well, not original maybe, but the blends of the sixties.

Which is quite understandable, and part of my point (though it was a bit incoherent). The 'Unicorns' of today haven't existed for many decades, just the brand name.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think it will be the one that when it goes away the old timers bitch the most about it being gone or different. I've not heard more good about it but I have heard more old timers lament it's passing. A few who claim it was their only blend. Whatever blend is going to disappear or change dramatically that has the most passionate one blend smokers.
I really miss Holly's Non Plus Ultra! That was the greatest blend ever created in the history of mankind and the world came to an end when it was discontinued. Or changed. Or whatever. But I miss it and I'm a long time smoker, maybe not of Holly's, but of tobaccos, so, damn it, Holly's is the next Balkan Sobranie.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I really miss Holly's Non Plus Ultra! That was the greatest blend ever created in the history of mankind and the world came to an end when it was discontinued. Or changed. Or whatever. But I miss it and I'm a long time smoker, maybe not of Holly's, but of tobaccos, so, damn it, Holly's is the next Balkan Sobranie.
see I think these runs are often a form of fear of missing out. And I jump to that conclusion because I really feel sad I can't just get some old Holly's Non Plus Ultra. Though Ultra is often used in clothes detergent does it taste redolent of clothes detergent?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I really miss Holly's Non Plus Ultra! That was the greatest blend ever created in the history of mankind and the world came to an end when it was discontinued.
The lights all went out in my world when it was discontinued. I'm still sitting in pitch black darkness. Please hand me my lighter if you can find it. Thank you.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Remember when I guessed your occupation was professional acid ingestor?
Confirmed.

Reactions: sablebrush52

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
D’oblone D’Oro (or whatever) by Savinelli has dark fired Kenyan. Perhaps that might be an acceptable blend to stock up on? Kenya is 2 countries north of Malawi, with Tanzania dividing them.

Also the bulk blend Sutliff Africa Queen features “Mozambique” but I cannot find any detail on what Mozambique is. But geographically it is next to Malawi. Beware though this one has some mild aromatics added if that’s not for you.

Other than that Gawith seems to be the main blender using this as you’ve stated.
My January 2022 of solani silver only states DFKY with no country called out. It smells great and is a nice smoke but it’s the only tin I’ve ever had so I have no basis by which to compare.
I’ll check it thanks ,it was on my wishlist into the cart it goes , would be nice to know if Solani Aged Burley flake still has Malawi in it , I’ll get work on that too

Reactions: Egg Shen

sobranie759

Lurker
Jun 5, 2013
The "Next" Balkan Sobranie is the blend that you and everyone else smoked and enjoyed but you all decided not to purchased in large quantities. One day the manufacturer stops making the blend or closes their doors. It is too late and the tins that are still around are selling for hundreds each or more. Oh boy, now what? The stories grow about the magical blend that can not be found. So it's the one that got away only in a very few cases those that never smoked the blend wish they had and started tell ghost stories. It is the blend of all blends and now it is gone forever. The "Next" Balkan Sobranie has been here many times only it is referred to as a limited run and then its gone just like Balkan Sobranie. Of course I smoke this blend and still do. Easy for me to say.
When I was in my twenties I used to frequent a pipe shop that is now long gone. I would hang out after work listening to the guys talking about pipes and how crappy the Italian pipes were compared to names lime Dunhill. So this guy walks in and they all say "Hi Doc" as he steps up to the blending bar. One of the tobacconists says " Hey Doc, the usual?" Doc says yes and the tobacconist proceeds to open and mix two 8oz tins of Balkan Sobranie White with 1 8oz tin of Amphora Red. I asked a young guy behind the counter what the H? He said he comes in every month to have this blend made up. Oh, and as the conversation continued on the "Italian" pipes someone said there is a new brand being imported and the store will have some stock soon. This will be another pipe that no one will buy they all said just another crappy "Italian" pipe.......I heard someone say, I think the name is Castello or Costello .....something like that. By the way the Amphora/Sobranie mix was not bad I mixed up a few ounces myself !!!!!!!!!!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Whatever discontinued blend reminds you of your lost youth and the happiest decade of your life, sir.

I’d like to say the happiest decade of my life is the next one. I’d like to say a lot of things. But other than not being dead (which I’m postulating because otherwise from my point of view the conversation veers into the heuristic) I’m skeptical that will be the case.

If it’s agreed that we’re really only talking about nostalgia then there isn’t a vanished tobacco that will trigger a Proustian reverie in me. Concord Grape Pop-Tarts might.

Apalea

Lurker
Aug 5, 2022
Italy
I am convinced that if twenty years the pipe will be just a memory of Wikipedia, one of Pease's blends will be remembered with nostalgia!

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
American produced American codger pouch blends. They're already disappearing and people are scouring the backwater cig stores for the last few big tubs.
Yeah, I miss SugarBarrel. Well, not really, as I have a few jars left from my last tub, but that was one i liked to have an open tub to scoop from on the regular.