PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
A Few weeks ago, The folks were doing household repairs. In the midst of sorting through a nail can under the car port, I found an old presentation zippo of dad's. It was given to him by an old army buddy of his. It still has the name listed and the army crest. The lid is missing so I'm going to send it for a repair and pipe lighter conversion. Dad gave up smoking years back so I will get the use future use of it. Amazing to me what one can find in the middle of household chores. Nothing like reusing a classic.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I definitely will bootlegbonvivant. The funny thing about the guy is you can actually wikipedia him. When I told dad of the fact of course he gave me his opinion of the guy in full.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Nice find. I found a 1932 Dunhill in my grandfather's tool box when we cleaned out my grandparent's house in the Bronx many years ago. It had no stem but I sent it to a pipe restorer and it looks fine. You never know what drawer or bucket will yield a treasure.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
leave the lighter as is. zippo is using thinner lighter components. they will replace everything inside and maybe buff up the outside a little. as long as the felt is ok, you can find reguliar lighter felt fairly easily if you HAVE to replace it and you can still put a new flint it should be fine.

have recently sent a few zippos to bradford and that is how they came back.

oh, if you have trouble with the hinge pin, replace it with a piece of wire and softly peen both ends into position. the old zippos are much much better than the newer ones. i have enough of them to know. around thirty of them.

hope this helps

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
forgot to mention. better half bought me a zippo pipe lighter and i still found it easier to use the regular zippo. think zippo is trying to keep afloat with all the bic and etc. lighters that can be bought so cheaply.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
if making something works why fix it it annoys me that when a manufacturer makes something good they have to spoil it by altering the design and so on why oh why. A nice suprise to find the zippo though havoc.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
needpics1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.