What Do You Think This Means If Anything?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
On Mondays and Thursdays Smokingpipes.com list any fresh estate and new pipes they get it. I have been watching for this update since it began as I always wanted first crack at an estate I might like. I rarely bought new pipes this way.

I got some of my best deals being johnny on the spot and it was fun getting psyched for the Monday and Thursday up dates. Since I was only buying American artisan pipes my choices were limited usually any where from 20-50 pipes per update. For the last year the numbers of American estate pipes has dropped to a trickle but today has set a record. There are only 3 fresh American estates which is amazing to me as I have followed this section of pipes for a decade or more.

I have no idea why the numbers have tanked. I honestly don't even have a good guess as my mind is having trouble processing this phenomena.

If anyone has ideas or guesses or know for a fact, please post here as I am totally befuddled.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
wait they get busy and sometimes extra busy? And why would the number of estate pipes stay constant always? Especially a certain type? I really am going to go with the caustic answer... Which is that maybe these carvers are finally leaving their customers satisfied and they don't want to get rid of their pipes anymore. I don't mean that but I did have to go there. I was also thinking about the guy who wouldn't buy estates because it was a pipe that someone didn't want (didn't point out that the same could be said about most peoples wives well a similar thing).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being one to overthink at every opportunity, although the simplest explanation is usually closest to correct, I wonder if they sell American artisan pipes more to the European market where they have the cache of being more exotic and demand higher prices? Probably not, but the thought crossed my mind.

Luaduisi bought Peterson and now has a more European facing market, and that must have some effect on their decisions, if not the one I thought of.

I think that it's blatantly obvious that it means that we are living in the end of times, right now.
Maniacs out there, putting pineapple on pizza. Sardine and Jello Hell!
F'n kale! People driving the damned speed limit in the passing lane.
People not turning in their obviously flawed American artisanal pipes for limited issue C&D blends.
Hell is creeping upon the Earth people.
DOOM!
Prophet GIFs | Tenor

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
On Mondays and Thursdays Smokingpipes.com list any fresh estate and new pipes they get it. I have been watching for this update since it began as I always wanted first crack at an estate I might like. I rarely bought new pipes this way.

I got some of my best deals being johnny on the spot and it was fun getting psyched for the Monday and Thursday up dates. Since I was only buying American artisan pipes my choices were limited usually any where from 20-50 pipes per update. For the last year the numbers of American estate pipes has dropped to a trickle but today has set a record. There are only 3 fresh American estates which is amazing to me as I have followed this section of pipes for a decade or more.

I have no idea why the numbers have tanked. I honestly don't even have a good guess as my mind is having trouble processing this phenomena.

If anyone has ideas or guesses or know for a fact, please post here as I am totally befuddled.
Others have already suggested some factors that are very much at play and true, but I still figured I should chime-in with some clarification.

Specifically that the number of pipes you quoted today (3 pieces marked 'new', around noon EST) are leftovers from the total of 12 American estates that we listed last Thursday. I believe that 12 American estates on a given update is about as low as that number has been for months, but we've had several updates in the last few weeks where 18-24 American estates were listed at one time. As you might expect, these numbers have a lot to do with what we have coming in at any given time, which we cannot control.

This came up about a year ago--the recognition that our estate updates weekly, as well as the number of estates on the website at any given time had fallen, and that was true particularly late 2020 and early 2021. The number of estates coming through the doors had slowed down significantly. Though we can't be sure why, we're pretty sure it was pandemic-related. My guess is that during the pandemic two things were broadly true:

1. People had more time on their hands and were able to sell some of their own pipes themselves. This is supported by what seemed to be an increase in eBay pipe listings during the lockdown months.

2. Based on consumer habits across all online retail during that time, as well as stimulus money, I think it's safe to assume that pipe smokers weren't reliant on trading pipes in to be able to fund new purchases. Everyone was stuck at home and had much more spending money in their pockets. Just how many Stanwell pipes can one buy for the cost of a canceled family cruise or trip to Disney World? Although our estate numbers took a hit during the pandemic, the rest of the business was very strong.

Fast forward to the last few months and estate numbers are much, much better. Some of you who have had pipes in the evaluation process these last few weeks have been (and continue to be) very patient with us while we do our best to complete the offers in a timely fashion, but it's been tough because we have had so much coming in, thankfully! This is what we love to see--a ton of very cool and varied stuff coming in that many of us would jump at the chance to give a new home to. I haven't seen our selection at any time be this good in years.

Overall, YTD our estate numbers are up 15% and since I'm the one picking pipes for each Monday and Thursday update, I can tell you the selection has been much better and I'd say the size of the updates on a given day are probably 15-20% larger than they were 18 months ago. The more we've been putting up, the more have been selling quickly. That might make it more difficult to see the upward trend if you're not looking at the website without blinking for most of each day.

It's also true that you see smaller updates during events like Black Friday, etc., but that's only because we've spent the last many weeks pushing as much to the website as possible to ensure a good selection during the promotion.

I hope this helps, guys. And keep those estate pipes coming our way!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well, I guess we can put that one to bed... No 8 pages of SP Estate pipe conspiracy theories.

IBTL
on that note. It's probably because America doesn't actually exist. It's really just the under side of England and all of us including me are just paid actors. And of course why is it this way? To increase jello sales. If no one thought there was an America who would buy Jello? It's so obvious when you think about it. So obviously there aren't enough pipes from the other countries to pass off as American pipes.

• Haha
Reactions: OverMountain
Status
Not open for further replies.