PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
Case makes a knife called a butterbean which is a great little everyday knife. The blade makes a great carbon scaper. It is just the right size.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a reamer for my larger pipes and I use a very small bladed Swiss Army knife with the tip rounded off for my smaller pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Paper towel to clean and dry, if any chunks are stuck to the side, I use a pipe tool or the top edge of a paring knife, being careful to not punch the bottom.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Paper towel after jpmcwjr was the first to recommend it to me a when I joined the forums. If I get an estate pipe, I very carefully use my knife for the bulk, then I dissolve some with alcohol, and use though tough blue shop towels to remove more. I have been known to use sand paper/scotch-brite pad to remove even more if I question the integrity of an old pipe or have to remove the cake completely....though I'm as careful as I can be...probably wouldn't do this but the Butner-style I bought from P&C matched it price...horrible...thinking I need to invest in the Castleford. Unfortunately when I had the money, I looked and couldn't find any in stock.
I will say, if you are scraping your pipes....be consistent and as even as possible. It's been recommended by others to hold the blade perpendicular to the bowl...Dulls up a knife fast, but before I started doing that I took a bit of the rim off of a pipe by an accidentally slip. Lessons learned in the beginning usually stick the longest :)

Status
Not open for further replies.