PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Being new to pipe smoking, going on one month, I have 4 small jars and 9 tins tucked away. When I grow up I want to be like MLK :worship:

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
First, thanks for sharing. I enjoy seller threads as well. Some really nice looking stashes being represented in here. Thanks for the compliment deathmetal. My wife said I could use the cupboard but only if I kept it orderly. So now that I have some vintage tins how and when do I smoke them? Do you blow through a tin or do you open it up, smoke a bowl then jar it up for the future? I did stock up on some Mississippi river, and Edgeworth match last year as well. I do want 10 tins of Wallace flake, 5 tins of Kentucky bold and some Bengal slices when they come out. Other then that, I really want 1 more meer. My desire to make large purchases has dwindled.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Do you blow through a tin or do you open it up, smoke a bowl then jar it up for the future
Depends on what's in it. If I love it, I usually keep the tin open and end up smoking all of it. If I think it's an occasional smoke, or will benefit from age, I put it in a jar and send it into the darkness. This is why I have never jarred Irish Oak, but have some 1792 Flake aging like John McCain.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What I acquired was knowledge in the form of experience having been able to sample a great many tobaccos from a variety of blenders.

I've learned to 'temper' what threatened to become an anxiety over tobacco acquisition.

I could be happy smoking Carter Hall for the remainder, but I'm sure glad I got to know C&D and Oulette blends.

Taste and nicotine are my preferred components. Rich, strong and flavorful, like a good cup of coffee.

I'll opt for a tin of something considered more fancy on occasion, but I buy bulk blends for the most part.

The best of these are Cornell and Diehl's.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Nice additions Stickframer. I have yet to try margate even though I have a little bit. Definitely will not acquire as much tobacco this year but we will see.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@ eastern traveler, I hope the placement of your skull Meer is just for the photo. Bump that shelf, and it's done.
Nice stash guys. I may have bought a tin or two last year.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I dig threads like this; they leave me inspired.
I just threw most of my tobacco, from this year, in a storage tote. Not quite as photogenic as a cellar/shelf, but it gets the job done.

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
Dadgy, what did you add to your cellar? Made a huge jump in tobacco
Here is my tobacco cellar page. Anything not from 2007-2008 was added this year. Mostly a taste of this or that, unless something really resonated with me.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
It's great looking at all this baccy. Nice work everyone :clap:
@eastern: Margate's pretty good. No unicorns or fairies flew out of the bag when I opened it, but it is a well balanced and flavorful smoke.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Hmmm. I tried to avoid too much acquisition, as my consumption rate is pretty low. I did lay in several more tins of Escudo so that I have both a fresh tin on hand, and some for aging comparisons later. I picked up some tins of Black House for much the same reason. Most everything else I picked up this year, though, was for more immediate consumption. Okay, eventual consumption - I still haven't cracked any of the Tsuge tins that I bought, as I'm still working through the Bjarne Viking tins... At this point, I don't see much point in cellaring extra tins of stuff I haven't tried yet, so 2016 will be another year of exploration.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I atleast buy in pairs even if I have never tried it. Worst case scenario I try it and then trade it away because I don't like it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have nothing worthy of pictures, just a few tubs of Carter Hall, and a few pounds of bulk burley blends. This year being my first as a full time piper, my cellar should grow substantially

Status
Not open for further replies.