What, Currently, is Similar to Penzance?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
New Cigars
6 Fresh IMP Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
The closest sub is Special Latakia Flake, followed by Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend ... both also made by Esoterica.

I've seen folks recommend GLP QN, GLP Meridian, SPC PP, etc. etc. These are all good blends, but Penzance subs they are not. That's not even to say that they are not as good. It's just to say that they are different.

Penzance melds Orientals and Latakia in a cohesive oily creaminess that is wholly unique.

Special Latakia Flake really is close, but never gained the same cult following, so you may be able to score a tin of that.
Germain’s 1820 Flake is the closest to Penzance, I would have said. Personally, I don’t find SLF similar in anyway, shape or form.
For my money, 1820 flake knocks Penzance for six! Germain’s most popular blend, here in the UK & subsequently, the hardest to get.🙁

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I would agree on Lease Quiet Nights after it's had some time to age. I had it before Penzance and when I finally got my hands on some Penzance, I thought "wow, this tastes like aged Quiet Nights."

If you're looking for a closer match, you're chasing other Germain's blends like their Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend and the elusive Krumble Kake. Honestly, unless you have more money than sense, you're better zeroing in on available Balkans. While most are not like Penzance, they're easier to find and in many cases, much better. Germain's blends are more of a change of pace for me, than something I smoke regularly.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I bought Hearth & Home - Ten to Midnight because of its purported semblance to Penzance.

I haven’t had Penzance yet so I can’t vouch for the match personally, but I thought that Ten to Midnight was so good that I bought a pound of it half-way through my first jar.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
The closest sub is Special Latakia Flake, followed by Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend ... both also made by Esoterica.

I've seen folks recommend GLP QN, GLP Meridian, SPC PP, etc. etc. These are all good blends, but Penzance subs they are not. That's not even to say that they are not as good. It's just to say that they are different.

Penzance melds Orientals and Latakia in a cohesive oily creaminess that is wholly unique.

Special Latakia Flake really is close, but never gained the same cult following, so you may be able to score a tin of that.
Agreed. Nothing else tastes like Penzance. While I rarely smoke Penzance anymore and prefer Margate by far there is no substitute for Penzance. That dank aged creamy sweet mushroom like flavor is unique.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Germain’s 1820 Flake is the closest to Penzance, I would have said. Personally, I don’t find SLF similar in anyway, shape or form.
For my money, 1820 flake knocks Penzance for six! Germain’s most popular blend, here in the UK & subsequently, the hardest to get.🙁
I also don’t get why people compare SLF to Penzance. SLF tastes nothing like Penzance. To me SLF is very Virginia forward with far less Latakia. At least the tins I have are super light on the Latakia and it is not oily.

Reactions: simong

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I'll second @Terry Lennox and say C&D Star Of The East flake. Granted, my palate is about as far from sophisticated as physically possible, but for me, of all the Balkans/Englishes I've tried, this one comes closest. Which is great, because SOTE can be acquired without forfeiture of major bodily organs, first-born child etc.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I bought Hearth & Home - Ten to Midnight because of its purported semblance to Penzance.

I haven’t had Penzance yet so I can’t vouch for the match personally, but I thought that Ten to Midnight was so good that I bought a pound of it half-way through my first jar.
I've been working my way through a jarred up 8 oz bag of Penzance and the only tobacco that seems close to me is this one. I can taste why people say Quiet Nights and Star of the East Flake are in the same ballpark, and maybe even preferable to some people, but 10 to Midnight is actually quite close in cut/flavor/makeup. When my Penzance is gone I doubt I will chase it again with 10 to Midnight available in bulk.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I would agree on Lease Quiet Nights after it's had some time to age. I had it before Penzance and when I finally got my hands on some Penzance, I thought "wow, this tastes like aged Quiet Nights."
^^This for me. I have Penzance, SLF and Quiet Nights in my cellar, and I have to say that aged QN is similar to Penzance IMO. I even prefer it over Penzance most of the time.

However, there is something very ethereal about Penzance and that is what is hard to compare. It is very complex and I usually pick up something different flavor-wise each time I smoke it. QN can have that as well, but it is usually a little more straightforward with the complexity hanging out in the background.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I also don’t get why people compare SLF to Penzance. SLF tastes nothing like Penzance. To me SLF is very Virginia forward with far less Latakia. At least the tins I have are super light on the Latakia and it is not oily.
SLF was almost uniformly brown, with a little black in the mix. I agree with your statement, and by god I smoked a lot of SLF.

Status
Not open for further replies.