PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
Making my way through The Dark Tower series, finally. Almost done with Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three, currently.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Just finishing my once every five years reread of the Iliad.
Wouid like to have a beer with, and who probably would oblige: Odysseus, Menelaos, Diomedes, Idomeneus, Nestor, Aenias, Patroclus
Would like to have a beer with, but who probably couldn’t be bothered: Hector, Ajax
Would like to punch in the face: Agamemnon, Paris
Would like to punch in the face but wouldn’t because I value my life: Achilles

herrpfeifen

Lurker
Feb 28, 2018
Beowulf fans might find this interesting. I got the DVD from the library but I think it's floating around online as well. It's pretty wild.
https://www.bagbybeowulf.com/
I'm reading Kill Anything That Moves by Nick Turse. It's about Vietnam.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The Stories of Breece D'j Pancake

Nov 12, 2017
I don't read a whole lot of fiction anymore, but I did love "The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 1" earlier. Then I was reading "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins, on his rebuttal to the watchmaker theory in evolution. Now I'm reading "The Longevity Diet: New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight", which sounds like a diet fad, self-help book (probably the target audience), but is actually an argument that is showing up in a lot of research lately, which is calorie restriction and low carbohydrate levels reduce oxidative stress on cells, and improve the body's anti-tumor properties. It is written by a leading longevity research scientist, Valter Longo from the University of Southern California.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sam Walton, Made in America. Interesting take, reminds me of Merchants in the 50s that raped the working man who went in their stores, jeans for schools in the fifties were very expensive and their own greed laid the ground for their demise.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Stalling on Sword of Truth while in Disney, but reading Levin Liberty and Tyranny while on vacation.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/books/review/jennifer-egan-manhattan-beach.html
Manhattan Beach, by Jennifer Egan. It's quite good and from a unique-to-me female lead perspective.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I have just finished reading "C.S. Lewis A Life" by Alister McGrath. It has an academic flavour, but is very interesting on the relationship between his religious beliefs and his works of fiction (e.g. the Narnia books).
Lewis was a contemporary of JRR Tolkien at Oxford University, and there are fascinating insights into university life in those days.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
This month it is The Dirigible Pirates. A pipe filled tell by Dr. Stanwell Briar set in the future about pirates fighting the clean air police and their right to smoke a pipe, cigar or tobacco related product. Found it on Amazon and just couldn't resist getting it on the phone.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks for the link, huntertrw - I enjoyed that piece. According to McGrath, The Inklings also held 'supplementary' meetings in local pubs on Tuesday lunchtimes: The Eagle and Child and The Trout Inn, mostly. These pubs are still going strong, but it would have been fun to be a fly on the wall when The Inklings were holding court!

Status
Not open for further replies.