PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
As I stated in an earlier post, I've been reading Bing Crosby: Swinging on a Star The War Years: 1940-1946 by Gary Giddins. If you have any interest in Bing, you should get this book and Giddins' first volume on Bing, which covers his life from 1903-1940. Very detailed and Giddins shows how Bing influenced and was influenced by the culture of his times. I'm close to finishing the book and Giddins has me wishing the next volume was out already.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm currently trying to find something to read. I'm contemplating re-reading The Dragon Bone Chair, by Tad Williams. It's been many years since I read that one, but to this day I consider it one of the best Fantasy series I've ever read.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Jack Kirby Collector issue 75. This book length magazine deals with what Jack Kirby and Stan Lee had to say in chronological order about the creations and creative processes that went into forming the Marvel Universe. A few portions of my artist biographies are included in the book.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ant, you should check out "Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury. It combines fantasy and horror.
Our very own member Sablebrush did artwork on this movie, so watch the movie after the book!

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Just started the “Complete Sherlock Holmes” based on a recent thread here.
Also “In Search of Pipe Dreams”

Jan 8, 2013
Our very own member Sablebrush did artwork on this movie,
One of these days, I wish he'd compile a list of all the shows, cartoons, movies, etc., that he's done work for. It would be great to check them out. I recall he showed off a few some time ago. Jim too! As a kid I dreamed of being a comic book artist. I wish I had continued to pursue that.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
The Crucifixion by Fleming Rutedge

Living Life Backwards by David Gibson
Got these using Amazon's Great on Kindle discounts so I've just started into them.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Mrs. Lawdawg is a literature aficionado and used to work part-time in publishing, so I am lucky to have access to her knowledge about who the current renowned writers are in the literary world. She keeps tabs on it, and all I have to do is ask.
I just finished "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt and really enjoyed it. It's basically a murder drama / Greek-style tragedy set at a small private New England college, and the main characters are a handful of students who are, not coincidentally I believe, studying ancient Greek.
Tartt recently won a Pulitzer for her newest novel, "The Goldfinch" which I have not read but Mrs. Lawdawg did and spoke highly of it.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
lawdog - I read "The Goldfinch" and enjoyed it quite a bit. There are some very memorable characters in that book.
I'm currently reading "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco.

Status
Not open for further replies.