PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
@jpmcwjr Not at the moment - I'm slacking off at work right now as I'm off for vacation next week :P I'll try to get some up tonight.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
JPM, a La Pavoni is something I've longed for and the Andreja is my dream machine.
Unfortunately, to have either would mean a kitchen redesign as cabinets are mounted too low to accept either. It's one thing to spend a couple of large on a coffee machine but to spend $15 K on a kitchen for the sole purpose of coffee might be a bit much.
Cabinets are so low in fact the Gaggia barely fits there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I hear you. The LaPavoni can fit under cabinets, but the Andreja, placed "temporarily" on my wife's kitchen island has been there a year with no complaints.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The word hobby offends me. It diminishes the value of what you do.
I concur. My hobbies are hiking and music, with a few subheads under that heading. Pipe smoking is what I do to relax and think, which is required both for life itself and contemplation of its gnarly problems.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Here's some pics as promised @jpmcwjr. The first two are from the smoke barn I pass by to and from work:
IMG-20150828-00054_zps8dww4jy8.jpg

IMG-20150828-00055_zpsgdoxzxrx.jpg

Most of the tobacco wagons I saw this morning have been loaded but there were a few left when I went by this evening. The second picture shows piles of sawdust and wood they use in the smoke barn. I couldn't get a good picture of the barn as it is behind the corn to the right of the wood piles.
And here is me standing in my burley plants. I'm 6' tall for reference.
IMG_1631_zpsdig9ci7n.jpg

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I spend alot of time refurbishing, transforming, modifying and making knives and tools. Too many images to post directly so I'll post a link to another forum I frequnt and update regualrly showing my projects.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124816&highlight=
I best known for knife & tool related stuff, but I love all sorts of things creative and relaxing.
(mod's sorry if linking other sites is not allowed)

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Amateur radio is my hobby. Both my wife and I are licensed. Me a general and her a tech. I also volunteer within the local CERT team. I also like to study the weather.

Aug 14, 2012
Why do I dislike the word hobby? Somehow it is condescending. When I picture that word I imagine a dumbass collecting stamps or mounting butterflies. Pipesmoking is not a hobby to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do a lot of writing of various kinds, but I wouldn't call it a hobby; writing and editing preceded every day job I ever had and contributed to most of those jobs while I went about what I felt was my calling in life, so it would be misleading to call any of that a hobby. A lot of my other activities relate to my family relationships and friendships, which are a pleasure but also a serious commitment. I guess bird watching and observing wildlife is a sort of hobby, though I wish I had more expertise. I'm not sure pipe smoking is a hobby. Is having wine or whiskey a hobby? I think some clear recreational, avocational activities are accurately called a hobby, but once you have some expertise and know-how, usually they become more. I don't want to be too high flown about other peoples' hobbies, if that is how they regard them. I just don't think of myself as a hobbiest so much.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've got a lot more hobbies than I have time for! But here they are;

Hiking

Fishing

Hunting

Camping

Motorcycles

Books

All things Gun related

General tinkering

Guitars

Pipes and Tobacco

Bushcraft

Beer

And probably a few more that I've forgotten about, lol!

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Reading almost everything with an affinity to psychology, mythology, philosophy, and general science. I also play guitar and a middle eastern 12 string instrument called the Oud.

oud.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Some of my other pipes. These are all Moeck Rottenburg recorders. The one made of African blackwood is tuned at Baroque pitch or A=415.
Since I've reached retirement status I've been reunited with my old group. We played through some Holborne five part almains and galliards on Monday. It's very nice to be back!
recorders_zpsqsx1vq3w.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Why do I dislike the word hobby? Somehow it is condescending. When I picture that word I imagine a dumbass collecting stamps or mounting butterflies. Pipesmoking is not a hobby to me.
I tend to agree.
I'm not sure pipe smoking is a hobby. Is having wine or whiskey a hobby? I think some clear recreational, avocational activities are accurately called a hobby, but once you have some expertise and know-how, usually they become more. I don't want to be too high flown about other peoples' hobbies, if that is how they regard them. I just don't think of myself as a hobbiest so much.
Also really on point.
To me, "hobby" implies things of decorative but not practical value. Pipe-smoking is like brewing your own beer, woodworking, writing open source software, or serial killing... more of a passion (or an "enthusiasm" as someone said around here awhile ago) than a "hobby."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hobby is a loaded word! Can seem frivolous, or geeky as in stamp collecting. But it's not activities alone, I think. Camping is an activity. Collecting old canteens is a hobby. Fishing is an activity, but collecting lures or tying flies can be a hobby. Anyway, food for thought. Wait! Is cooking a hobby?? It could be for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.