What Are Your Favorite Pipes To Collect?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Jacono Pipes
24 Fresh Ropp Pipes
2 Fresh J. Alan Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Two Pipes Crossing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2023
Austin Texas
Through out time of smoking pipes, I look back and see “phases” of interest.

When I was very new to pipes, I would see a maker’s pipe and have the “oh wow” factor or deep sense of wonder and go down the path exploring certain pipes.

In time I would move on to the next sense of wonder and gently go of the previous fascination to another person.

These days I find my self balancing within the Danish Realm of pipes.

Seems my favorites are made by gentlemen who no longer exist.

I had an short obsession with Preben Holm Pipes, and though I still admire them, they are a bit much to take everywhere with me, as the are excellent displays of wood craftsmanship, and I would not desire to risk damaging a one of a kind piece of art.

I enjoy examining those pipes, refurbishing them, and passing them on to an eager souls ready to put them to great use.

Over that time I found my self collecting Bari Pipes.

I have quite a bit of them, and they all are on the rotation, taking shifts fairly equally to one another.

Though Bari pipes are not as sparking and shiny as some of the other maker’s brands, they are of a humble standing, engineered with precision, and are among the most consistent to one another in their performance.

Everyone one of them I have smoked from, smoke exactly the same, and carry out their duty like and elite special forces team member.

I often find Danish pipes, in general, seeming to provide a quality experience with the leaf with ease.

Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy a high end Peterson pipe, and have a few of the, as well as a couple of Charatan’s Makes that smoke like no one’s business.

Alas I find my self in complete attention to the fine leaf coiling in the neatly packed chamber of my Bari pipes each time, with ease, and without fail.

Do any of you did a particular maker you gravitate towards and or collect?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
First, pipes which catch my eye in the shop, proportion and it must be bent to some degree. Second, if they fit my fist. Then, the fit and finish. Finally, after getting it home, I run a few bowls through to find how it smokes. A satisfactory smoke and I'll keep it. So, no particular maker, only the above criteria matter for me.

Most manufacturers can make a decent pipe or, a stinker. The name on the pipe means little to nothing to me. It's the proportion, fit, feel and the ability to deliver a satisfactory smoke, every time, that have meaning. Well, barring smoker miscue.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Lately it's been Peterson bulldogs for me. I still love a good classic billiard or Dublin or even panel straight pipe from any number of makers. But over the past few years bulldogs and especially Pete bulldogs have been my weakness. And they do all get smoked in the rotation.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Artisan carvers for me; if I were still collecting. And I may collect again, I've been on a hiatus. I'd look for Larry Roush, Trevor Talbert, Marco Biagini, Kai Neilson. I have experience with each and have met 3 of the 4 carvers face to face.

I also like Ardor and Rinaldo; the pipes smoke vey well. There are lots of good pipes out there now.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Pipes have to catch my eye

Old Britwoods, especially classic shapes like bulldogs and billiards - straight or bent

The usual slew of Britwood makers eg Loewe, Comoy, BBB, GBD, Dunhill
Don’t like the over-rated Barlings

Then Danish makers, in no particular order.
I love the Danish era Stanwells

Cuttys and Belges, bent eggs, and more recently, Lovats

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The voyage has been fun. I have a little bit of this and that. I enjoyed Kaywoodies for quite a while and still occasionally smoke them, American artisan pipes by Lee Von Erck, Scottie Piersel, Paul Tatum, and others, a couple of Castellos, a handful of Danish friends, some good old Britwood and a fairly large grouping of overrated Barlings that smoke wonderfully well for me. And if Oz doesn’t want his he’s welcome to burden me with them anytime.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I gravitate towards bulldog/Rhodesians and unusual pokers. I prefer some bend in them but it's not a hard rule. I still have some Danish freehands from early in my smoking life.
What's an unusual poker?

I just picked up a Dagner poker and like the feel, but haven't sparked it yet. Apparently, I'm drifting to smaller and larger pipes at the same time.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
What's an unusual poker?

I just picked up a Dagner poker and like the feel, but haven't sparked it yet. Apparently, I'm drifting to smaller and larger pipes at the same time.
Something that deviates from the shape chart. I would say a Dagner meets the criteria. I have one and an odd little Ardor that both sparked my interest in the shape.