PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Tonight it's Captain Black original in my longtime favorite workhorse pipe, a bent Country Gentleman cob outfitted with a bent C type Forever Stem.puffy

View attachment 294024

For comparison sake I'm now smoking Lane RLP-6 in the same pipe, since I had heard it was the same blend as Captain Black original, and while it's certainly very similar to Captain Black original it's not exactly the same. The topping seems to be the same on both blends, but Captain Black is noticably more heavily topped and features more black canvendish and less burley; giving the smoke from Captain Black greater density and more sweetness than RLP-6.

I'm surprised to say it but I actually prefer Captain Black over RLP-6. I very much like the flavor of the topping and it's more prominent in Captain Black, whereas with RLP-6 you get less of that delicious sweet cream topping flavor and more of what I can only describe as a "cheap burley" taste. I also find the retrohale on Captain Black original to be completely smooth and comfortable, whereas the retrohale on Lane RLP-6 tends to sting my sinuses a bit.

So, between the two I'll stick with Captain Black. For a visual comparison, here's Captain Black original on the left vs Lane RLP-6 on the right:

20240307003441_IMG_4582~2.JPG

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Earlier, I smoked a bowl of year 2012 Esoterica Dunbar in a smooth straight, dark brown early 1960s Lane era Charatan Selected 43 Dublin with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad.
Conrad-Dublin copy.jpg

Did a little snacking, and just finished smoking year 2022 unreleased Sutliff Brown Virginia Flake in a straight smooth brown post-WWII Comoy’s Grand Slam billiard 27 Canadian patent 341422 with a black vulcanite saddle stem.
Comoy’s_Grand Slam_27billiardC.P.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim --- Will Sutliff be releasing this Brown VA Flake? Also, you've previously mentioned smoking their unreleased Black VA Flake. I have tins of Rattray's Black VA & I've recently acquired some Sutliff 507-S Stoved VA. Their Black VA Flake has an appeal. I also have Wessex Brown VA Flake & it's excellent.
No. The Brown Va. flake and Black Va. flake were rejected for some reason. I never got an answer as to why, so I just enjoy them when I'm in the mood.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am near the half way mark of this bowl of Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in a smooth medium bend terracotta Peterson POY 2023 X160 464/1100 military mount egg with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Peterson_POY2023_X160.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of a bowl left of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. This'll do it for me today.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.