PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a wonderful salad, chicken legs and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. Just finished smoking Wilke Lizzie Blood Virginia in a straight black with burgundy undertone sandblasted early 1960s Lane era Charatan 420 billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Charatan_billiard_420.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
GLP Barbary Coast (cubed burley, red Virginia, Perique, and a touch of brandy) in a slightly bent rusticated Parker poker sitter, listening to WUNC NPR "Back Porch Music," acoustic, country, blues, bluegrass, etc. Grooming some sermons I wrote for a class, being a non-minster, interested in learning that form of short essay.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Straight after the 1904 Barling, I had
a second bowl of Semois

In the straight Forever stemmed corn cob.

This is my 1st smoke in a cob
I wanted to see if there was much of a difference between this and a briar.
Both pipes had overnight alcohol soaks and airways cleaned out with alcohol soaked cleaners, so there should be minimal, if any, ghosts.
The 1904 Barling was reamed before alcohol treatment

My impressions:

the cob had a more open draw. Most old Britwoods tend to have slightly more restricted draws .
I will repeat the head to head next week with a Castello, which should have a draw similar to the cob

I did think that the flavour of the tobacco was clearer with the cob.

I removed quite a bit of cake from the Barling, but the remnant of the cake may have influenced and muted the taste.
The cob had been smoked, but only minimally. There was bowl charring, but asolutely no cake.

Semois is a very dry tobacco.
Both smokes were dry, with no gurgles and minimal moisture in both airways when cleaned post-smoke.

I enjoyed smoking the cob very much, but, vain person that I am, will smoke it only in the confines of the home 😂

Thank you Dave (@Ahi Ka) for fulfilling one of my wishes
image.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through this bowl of Wilke Crystal Palace in a dark brown smooth straight post-WW2 LHS Certified Purex 79 bulldog with a nickel ferrule and tenon with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Shy Stripesy has returned, and I made sure she got plenty to eat. Tomato the Brave is eating, too. Daisy the Feral Princess didn't feel like eating.
LHS Certified Purex 79 bulldog .jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a little snacking, and am passing the quarter mark on this bowl of Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.