PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin before it gets turned into a show. About a month ago I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick

Yes I like Science Fiction.
I was really surprised by how much I really enjoyed the three body problem series. They are all amazing, but that 2D destruction scene was just absolutely sublime and depressing and intense.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I'm working my way through a series of books by Seth Hunter. They are set in the Napoleonic era and concern the adventures of a British sea captain. In the vein of Patrick Obrian's works.

The action is rousing and the detail incredible. Not so much of the nautical terminology or the intense feeling that you are actually there that Obrian managed, but filled with historical figures and excellent writing.

Reactions: RonB and BCF

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Finished cat and mouse by mj ardlidge yesterday. Quite decent, I think the first and last 150 pages better than the middle 200 ish pages. The grand finale was a bit predictable, but exiting to read. If this would be the end of the novel series it would be a bummer, a bit to open for a good closure.

Im going to start reading Apollo Murders by astronaut Chris Hadfield

1709465588906.png

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I like to sit outside on a swinging chair with a churchwarden full of Autumn Evening and a dusty old book full of fascinating historical detail. I've just started "The Life of William Whewell, D.D." by Mrs, Stair Douglas, 1881.
Although the original owner of this book proudly put his name inside the front cover with a little sticker, he never cut any of the 590 pages, so while I have to make sure I've cut enough pages before I go out, I get to be the first person to read the book after 143 years. :D

Attachments

• Image (3).jpg
    Image (3).jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 3

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
OK, I'm not reading this "right now," but I pick it up and browse it now and then.

"Pipe & Pouch - The Smoker's Own Book Of Poetry," 1894, compiled by Joseph Knight.
The first poem in the book applies well to this thread.

Attachments

• Image (2).jpg
    Image (2).jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 4

Cwhatch

Lurker
Feb 23, 2024
Florida
I just started Strange Weather in Tokyo by Hiromi Kawakami. I am exploring Japanese fiction further, and I love the way these stories are told. Very creative and pleasant, even when the subject is disturbing. Love it so far.
Might I suggest a few then? ‘Silence‘ by Shusaku Endo, ‘1Q84’ Haruki Murakami (or anything by him), and ‘Number 9 dream’ by David. Mitchell (he’s not Japanese but this book is set in Japan and the author has spent a fair amount of time there and I think translates to and from Japanese). [Also if you have discussed having read any of these before, my apologies].

Moraviensis

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
United Kingdom
Dylan Foster, “The Book of Yōkai”. Popular academic compendium on Japanese folk creatures and phenomena ranging from the oni (wild brawlers, bandits, ogres ) through the famous kappa, the tsukumogami (neglected household items that become animate), a maiden with a disfigured face who accosts passers-by, spider-demons, immense skeletons, nurikabe, an invisible barrier to a traveller and many more. Read as a tribute to my late sister, who adored Miyazaki’s “Spirited Away”.

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 3