PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I bet shishitos are good in a martini!
I don’t think I’ve had that kind of pepper. I’ll add anything that adds a savory element. Not into any sweet drinks like appletinis or whatever
I wanna come hang with you all! Great looking food and drinks!!
me too those meatballs look great

i’m going to have a pour of Ezra 7 at some point today. It is bourbon. It is good. But does anyone else feel like when it comes to bourbon lately a $60 is not 2x as tasty as a $30 bottle, a $90 bottle is not 3x better, etc. Generally the higher tier offerings are better but not 2x, 3x, 4x,etc. It has become exceedingly hard to find great bourbon, most all of it is decent, yet little is outstanding, including some of the more hyped or rare offerings.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Absolutely!
So what are your best value picks? I like WT101 and 4 roses yellow, but to have a few other options would be nice. Interestingly, I don’t feel like a dummy when I buy a more expensive rum or tequila- I feel like I got what I paid for. I’d also be interested in any high priced bourbons that you feel the price is actually justified.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
So what are your best value picks? I like WT101 and 4 roses yellow, but to have a few other options would be nice. Interestingly, I don’t feel like a dummy when I buy a more expensive rum or tequila- I feel like I got what I paid for. I’d also be interested in any high priced bourbons that you feel the price is actually justified.
Early Times Bottled in Bond is a great value and also very good - about $25 a liter!
Makers Mark 46 French oaked is a good deal.

Most of the higher priced bourbons I like are also higher proof (some may not care for that).
In no order:
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered
4 Roses single barrel barrel proof (hard to get but $100)
Most of the Penelope barrel proofs
Lucky Seven (only had one and it's amazing but they get rave reviews)

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Early Times Bottled in Bond is a great value and also very good - about $25 a liter!

Most of the higher priced bourbons I like are also higher proof (some may not care for that).
In no order:
Thank you - I have not heard of most of these. This list should keep me going a while assuming they’re easy to find. I’ll probably skip the 4R - that’s one that doesn’t scale up the line for me. I’ve had some great ones but only to go buy another that’s not as good. I know they have like 4 or 5 different mashbill / yeast combos, but I never felt like code checking. I know I like the yeast that gives minty notes, but never bothered beyond that to see what letter that equates to in their coding, nor bothered to isolate other attributes. Maybe I should have it would have saved me a few dollars. It is well below $100 where I shop though. ET or Maker’s sounds like a good place to start. Or maybe EC. The others are not known to me. I sure miss the days of $55 Blanton’s always in stock!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

In no order:
Thank you - I have not heard of most of these. This list should keep me going a while assuming they’re easy to find. I’ll probably skip the 4R - that’s one that doesn’t scale up the line for me. I’ve had some great ones but only to go buy another that’s not as good. I know they have like 4 or 5 different mashbill / yeast combos, but I never felt like code checking. I know I like the yeast that gives minty notes, but never bothered beyond that to see what letter that equates to in their coding, nor bothered to isolate other attributes. Maybe I should have it would have saved me a few dollars. It is well below $100 where I shop though. ET or Maker’s sounds like a good place to start. Or maybe EC. The others are not known to me. I sure miss the days of $55 Blanton’s always in stock!

I thought I'd put my two cents in—Four Roses Barrel Proof at $90.00–$100.00 is one of the greatest bargains in Bourbon in terms of complexity and delicacy/subtlety in this age of ridiculous aftermarket prices of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. I cannot recommend them highly enough. I've been able to locate nine of the ten different mash bills over the last fourteen years (still looking for the most common one so I can do a vertical tasting of all ten with some friends—Glencairn Dock glasses with ginger lids ready to go). I love George T. Stagg, but it's never available at normal retail (also, some of the Stagg, Jr. releases have been superior to the big brother in recent years).

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I thought I'd put my two cents in—Four Roses Barrel Proof at $90.00–$100.00 is one of the greatest bargains in Bourbon in terms of complexity and delicacy/subtlety in this age of ridiculous aftermarket prices of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. I cannot recommend them highly enough. I've been able to locate nine of the ten different mash bills over the last fourteen years (still looking for the most common one so I can do a vertical tasting of all ten with some friends—Glencairn Dock glasses with ginger lids ready to go). I love George T. Stagg, but it's never available at normal retail (also, some of the Stagg, Jr. releases have been superior to the big brother in recent years).
Thanks for trying to help. I regret buying the higher proof expressions of 4R however. They are not 3x better than yellow label to me, usually. I’m tired of getting burned and spending that much on distilled grain. I’ve splurged on Stagg and Elmer but I dislike the prominent baking spice notes. I am looking for something with nuance, not just baking spice/or “general“ spice. I’ve poured some Bourbon that is oily, like essential oils. That is what I like.
Alright, gentlemen.

Favorite economy bourbon on the market? I'm willing to branch out a bit from Evan Williams and Ezra Brooks. My next tier is High West.
I should have bought the HW, almost did. The 1 bottle I had was pretty good and so I was debating trying their rye. Ended up with this old Ezra 7 or whatever it’s called. This is not an $80 bottle IMO. I’d go with HW @ $45 over this in the future.

Have you guys tried the hw rye?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Have you guys tried the hw rye?
Yes. It was the first Rye I've had and very good to my pedestrian palate.

My long time girlfriend toured HW prior to the pandemic. I've had their bourbon, rendezvous, campfire (smokey like scotch), bourye (mix of bourbonandrye), son of bourye (special release), and I believe 1 or 2 others along with a premixed cocktail or two.

All have been tasty and my "go to" when wanting to splurge I'm a fan.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Yes. It was the first Rye I've had and very good to my pedestrian palate.

My long time girlfriend toured HW prior to the pandemic. I've had their bourbon, rendezvous, campfire (smokey like scotch), bourye (mix of bourbonandrye), son of bourye (special release), and I believe 1 or 2 others along with a premixed cocktail or two.

All have been tasty and my "go to" when wanting to splurge I'm a fan.
Ok thanks Amish, maybe these will become my go-to I’m much more comfortable with their price point and it sounds like they have a decent range of products.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania

In no order:
I ended up grabbing the Maker’s 46 French Oaked. They had a cask strength one and a less strong one. Which one do you prefer? I went with the lower proof, lower cost one. I haven’t tried it. But I just tried a tiny pour of this IMG_0989.jpegrum and tequila and they are right up my alley. I’m very pleased. Also the tequila is organic! (so it is good for you).

The guy at the liquor store was trying to sell me that Matthew McConahay bourbon lol.