PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbrandybuck

Might Stick Around
Aug 17, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm looking for a nice fall blend. Something that gives the feeling of autumn. Smells or tastes such as cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, etc. So what blends remind you of a nice cool autumn afternoon?

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
frog morton's on the town or shortcut to mushrooms. the earthy/pungeant smell of these blends reminds me of raking leaves.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
BCA is good when the temps drop.

I like a Cavendish with vanilla or a coffee blend, and then a good strong Balkan or other Latakia blend.

I suppose anything with a good strong flavor, and rich aroma are good when the temps begin to get, and are cold.

A good hot strong cup of Joe ain't too bad with a rich pipe on a cold Winter's day either.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
coffee is a great accompanyment to a good smoke, especially when it's cooler out. if you don't feel like coffee, blue moon makes a pumpkin beer which is very autumnish.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Almost any latakia blend is a great fall smoke. If you aren't used to them, start with something light. Something like C&D's Pirate Kake will ruin you forever on latakia. It's 70% lat.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
All tobacco seems better in the fall, but I do notice that my latakia containing mixtures get smoked more often in the fall. G.L. Pease Bohemian Scandal used to be my go to fall blend but it has long since gone the way of the dodo. It had a taste and aroma like pumpkin pie baked in a wood fired oven.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
mrbrandybuck, it's encouraging to find others who are sensitive to the way seasonal changes affect smoking preferences.
I'm in Pstlpkr's camp
I suppose anything with a good strong flavor, and rich aroma are good when the temps begin to get, and are cold.

A good hot strong cup of Joe ain't too bad with a rich pipe on a cold Winter's day either.

But my choice would be C&D's Haunted Bookshop. I'll probably transition from Summertime Va's by way of some Vapers -- principally Stokkebye's Luxury Bull's Eye Flake and Two Friends' Redwood.
In the Fall I also enjoy some gently sweet red & stoved red Va's.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Ohin3 wrote:

All tobacco seems better in the fall...
Same for me, along with all the cooler seasons. I smoke regularly in the summer, though decidedly less. It may have something to do with the local climate, which is extremely humid. Sometimes when it's really muggy, an hour or more bowl just doesn't sound as good as a cigarette and a beer.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here in Pennsylvania the trees are already starting to turn. Time to get Autumn Evening going.
Down here in Alabama, the grass has turned brown from the heat.

There is still another month before the trees begin to realize that the sun has begun to set before 8:45 PM. and rise after 5:00 AM. I have to admit that the temps have begun to ease off a bit. It was only 98 yesterday and 97 today.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
there's frost here almpst every night, but then again we get snow from october to march, and sometimes we get nasty summer hails.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
Btw i tried grey havens last night accompanied by some yeungling porter and would recommend both for the fall.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
Ya'll are driving me nuts, I'm in the same boat as Pstlpker. Here in Florida its a balmy mid-90's during the day. But there's just that hint of cool at night that makes a pipe seem better, and better, and better. So, ya'll up north, count your blessings, and enjoy a bowl for me.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
Dan Tobacconist makes a blend called Black Velvet. It doesn't smell like nutmeg but it is sprayed with Guiness during the curing process. What could be more Autumnal?

Status
Not open for further replies.