PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’ve spent the last year getting into pipe-smoking. Like some people ‘round these parts, I love looking at pipes, especially at estate pipes, and I own a few (but not many). After spending every day studying pipes (for fun), I feel like I know who made great English, American, Italian, and Danish pipes and how to spot them. I must admit, though, that French pipes perplex me. There are these huge brands (and the smaller ones) that made so many pipes over the decades and the last century. Chacom and Butz-Choquin made a bijillion pipes starting in the 1800s. But I really don’t understand what are the quality French pipes, who made them and when. I mean I look at French pipes and can see some are quite nice, but I find it hard to find out about who made what and when and how to know what is what. I wonder if anyone can explain how to understand the history of French pipe making, how to approach this question. In England, you can go back to certain brands at certain times and say they were making the best and date pipes at least to a range. What about France?

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
The French didn't seem to mind how many fills they put in them, they did and do make great smokers and had a habit of carving the brier, probably to hide the fills.

Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
The French didn't seem to mind how many fills they put in them, they did and do make great smokers and had a habit of carving the brier, probably to hide the fills.
When I look at estate Chacoms or other big names, I do see lots of pipes with fills. On the other hand, it’s interesting that the new Ropp company advertises its Algerian briar pipes as old-stummel fill-free pipes. So, there must be lots of lines of estate French that are selected fill-free Algerian briar? Maybe? I just wonder if you can do anything more than examine each pipe pipe on a case by case basis.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
When I look at estate Chacoms or other big names, I do see lots of pipes with fills. On the other hand, it’s interesting that the new Ropp company advertises its Algerian briar pipes as old-stummel fill-free pipes. So, there must be lots of lines of estate French that are selected fill-free Algerian briar? Maybe? I just wonder if you can do anything more than examine each pipe pipe on a case by case basis.
I was really talking about old French Pipes, they churned them out in the millions, they were everyman pipes before anybody collected pipes or could afford expensive pipes, they did smoke great though, that's why they sold millions upon millions, there are some high end French makes nowadays that are collectable.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I was really talking about old French Pipes, they churned them out in the millions, they were everyman pipes before anybody collected pipes or could afford expensive pipes, they did smoke great though, that's why they sold millions upon millions, there are some high end French makes nowadays that are collectable.
But when the English started focusing on making high-end stuff in the prewar and postwar decades of the 20th century, there must have been specific French competition? Maybe the French market was just more complicated to understand.

Reactions: tobakenist

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I’ve spent the last year getting into pipe-smoking. Like some people ‘round these parts, I love looking at pipes, especially at estate pipes, and I own a few (but not many). After spending every day studying pipes (for fun), I feel like I know who made great English, American, Italian, and Danish pipes and how to spot them. I must admit, though, that French pipes perplex me. There are these huge brands (and the smaller ones) that made so many pipes over the decades and the last century. Chacom and Butz-Choquin made a bijillion pipes starting in the 1800s. But I really don’t understand what are the quality French pipes, who made them and when. I mean I look at French pipes and can see some are quite nice, but I find it hard to find out about who made what and when and how to know what is what. I wonder if anyone can explain how to understand the history of French pipe making, how to approach this question. In England, you can go back to certain brands at certain times and say they were making the best and date pipes at least to a range. What about France?
More reading for you; there are individual pipe makers throughout France who make hand made pipes for the larger houses and from whom you may buy direct.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/the-history-pipe-design-france-and-england

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/saint-claude-france-birthplace-the-briar-pipe
https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/how-do-you-like-french-pipes.23279/page-2
https://www.pipechacom.com/en/history.htm

https://us-browse.startpage.com/av/...o4r49&ekdata=1a08ccdc40059ab6bf4ce377e9622755
https://www.fumerchic.com/en/content/19-saint-claude-the-global-capital-of-pipes

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The French pipe industry established briar as the standard pipe material and has had a highly competitive and quality oriented industry for a long time. Many of the traditional shapes we think of as English were introduced by the French.

So most of the established French brand names have a high probability of being beyond their price points in quality. Chacom, BC, Genod, Ropp, Comoy, EWA, and so on.

Some of them have smaller bowls than we are used to in the U.S., but they also make larger bowls, so just look at the specification, or ask for them (demand them).

Related to smaller bowls (chambers), remember you can prolong your smokes by using more solid cuts ... flake, coin, plug, and rope. I find these burn about a half again as long as loose cuts.

Currently, Iwan Ries' house pipes are made by Genod and go for $64, with a pretty good selection of shapes, a really good buy, new.

A legacy pipe shop like Iwan Ries sells its house pipes to build its customer base, so it wants to sell a good pipe that will encourage the beginning smoker and build repeat business. They aren't going to sell a shoddy house pipe with their name on it. By the way, Genod was the source of their first house pipes many years ago.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
2 GBDs with French silver hallmarks - no date letters
053BBF44-EC72-4A79-B42E-3E86282119C8.jpeg5D16FE0F-DC5D-4660-BE5F-D1D85F924D34.jpeg

Another French estate - a 1922 Fieux Leduc, this one with English hallmarks
F10009F3-7193-40A8-97D2-F2F88FBE8069.jpeg

A lot of vintage and antique “English” pipes were French made, shipped over to England to be finished (silver mounted) and sold as “Made in England/London”

Last edited: