PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Seems like Smorg has some issues he needs to work through regarding men with beards.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Been wet shaving for a couple years now (safety razor).
I save a lot over disposable, but I only have one razor, buy my blades at the drug store,

re purpose my soap from the shower leftovers and use an old coffee cup with a cheap brush to

mix it.
I love it.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The Merkur is known for a more aggressive shave than the Edwin Jagger. Amazon has great prices on both. Shaving101.com has razor comparisons on it.
Does anyone else think smorg is really starcat?

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I believe it's the way the Merkur is engineered. Then you have to factor in the brand of blades. Time to do some research.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
OK, "mom" says that Amazon has a lavender EJ ladies model that has an extra long handle.
Now, blades: go to ebay and buy small packages of Derby, Shark, Lord, and whatever anyone else suggests - stay away from aggressive blades (homework) until you get the hang of it.

You need to make you own decision on blades, it' a personal thing.
Also invest in "My Nik is Sealed" and a blade bank.
Bedtime is at 7:30, so get busy!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I did a lot of research before I made the switch. If I had not just purchased everything I need, I would certainly have joined this new sponser. I am guessing that the razor provided the first month is the model that I almost purchased.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Merkur's open combs and slant heads are very agressive, never tried a Jagger, but have a friend that swears by them. Personna blades are a great choice, and can be had for under $20 for a 100 count box. Omega has several very economical badger brushes for under $50. My personal brush is an Omega stripey, and has lost very few bristles in its past two years of use. Sadly, the bulk of my wet shaving money has been on compulsive ebay purchases of antique scuttles. The one I use most often is a very nice 75 year old German luster piece in the shape of abstract seashells, but have many just setup to look at.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Sparks those feather blades are excellent, when you do use them just let the blade do the work and you will avoid a face full of pieces of toilet paper.
Astra are similar to Personna and are also a very good and very forgiving blade, if you pm me your address I'll put a few packs in the post to you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Absolutely on the Feather blades. They are like the samauri blades of the safety razor world. Just use the weight of the razor and short strokes with those bad boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.